Diving specialties

Which specialty would make a good first specialty

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think they should offer a "perfect weighting" specialty instead of a "peak buoyancy" specialty since the use of a BC can easily mask the problem of being overweighted. The way it is now, all they do is teach people to be a better elevator diver, not necessarily a better weighted diver which would eliminate 90% of the problems people have with buoyancy control to start with.

I did peak performance buoyancy as one of my PADI AOW dives, and one of the things our instructor did was to remove weight from us until we couldn't stay down with an empty BC. So I can't speak for other agencies, or other PADI instructors for that matter, but mine did emphasize neutral buoyancy over BC use. If anybody's peak performance buoyancy instructor didn't do this for them, they got short changed.

I put down buoyancy as the first one. Rescue diver is a close second, but it's probably better not to stress somebody with self rescue scenarios when they aren't yet decent at buoyancy.

For me Rescue is not a speciality it is a course all of it's own and I don't think most Open Water divers has sufficient time in the water to do it justice.
I think there is a greater chance of them becoming part of the problem rather that part of the solution.
If there was a stress only speciality now that might be useful in emphasing how a little extra task loading along with nitrogen can result in poor decision making.

If you intend to go on dives just with a buddy, rescue. if you're just going to be a fair weather diver on tropical holidays, EAN.

A noteworthy exception is PPB which is a good idea for all divers.

the rest of the list will either be picked up by experience (boat, Nav, fish ID) or by RTFM or reading books and practicing (computer, photo).

Night and dry suit are others that should be introduced in a structured format, but are environment/location dependent.

If you dive in ice cold waters where a drysuit is a must, then the drysuit specialty must be taken immediately. Or it may be included in the first elementary diving course (p1/scuba diver/open water diver/many more names).

Some diving organisations include buoyancy adjustments in their elementary (and slightly longer) diving course. Others (PADI) offer it as a separate module. This makes the courses shorter, which suits many, but not all.

Buoyancy control is clearly needed. It makes dives more enjoyable and safe. Stress management/rescue and nitrox are also very very usefull skills. As is freediving.

What an incredible list!
What if the vast majority are subjects for which I think a class is less than necessary?

At some point I think you should take Nitrox and Rescue. Save your money on the rest.

I think they should offer a "perfect weighting" specialty instead of a "peak buoyancy" specialty since the use of a BC can easily mask the problem of being overweighted. The way it is now, all they do is teach people to be a better elevator diver, not necessarily a better weighted diver which would eliminate 90% of the problems people have with buoyancy control to start with.

If your PPB class did not help you find the right weighting and the right trim, it was poorly taught and not to standards.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 09:51 AM ----------

Buoyancy makes you comfortable in the vertical dimension. Navigation makes your comfortable in the horizontal dimensions. Nitrox makes you comfortable in the time dimension. Rescue makes you comfortable in the stress dimension. Night makes you comfortable at night. Equipment makes your comfortable with your gear. Dry Suit makes you comfortable in cold water. To this I would add Deep makes you comfortable below 60 feet.

Don't base your opinion of these specialties just on Dive #1 (in the AOW class). As with most learning, it accumulates during the class and might not "take" until a later dive.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 09:52 AM ----------

At some point I think you should take Nitrox and Rescue. Save your money on the rest.

Sounds like you've never had a good instructor!

I did peak performance buoyancy as one of my PADI AOW dives, and one of the things our instructor did was to remove weight from us until we couldn't stay down with an empty BC. So I can't speak for other agencies, or other PADI instructors for that matter, but mine did emphasize neutral buoyancy over BC use. If anybody's peak performance buoyancy instructor didn't do this for them, they got short changed.

I put down buoyancy as the first one. Rescue diver is a close second, but it's probably better not to stress somebody with self rescue scenarios when they aren't yet decent at buoyancy.
What you got was definitely an exception to the rule.
I've never seen any PADI intructor around here strip weight off a diver to where they should be. They just teach them to be better with the up/down buttons. The first question from the student would be "Why didn't you just do that to start with?" (in OW)

I personally figured out how to set my weighting years ago from watching and diving with old school back pack divers that use no BC.
If a person can dive with no BC then they are forced to dive with proper weighting. To me this is the best training to fully understand what proper weighting and perfect buoyancy really is.
But I don't expect anybody else to take up no BC diving, this type of practice these days is considered reckless/crazy, and "you're gonna die!"
Somewhere along the line the BC has become a "life saving device". With this in mind I'm surprised every diver in history that never used a BC isn't dead.

Somewhere along the line the BC has become a "life saving device". With this in mind I'm surprised every diver in history that never used a BC isn't dead.

A lot of them are, but it is usually from old age.

As for the original question, from what I see PPB and rescue stand out as needed. However, if one picks the right OW instructor one could make the right choice on their own. It isn't what is needed next, it is what is missing in OW training, the time to develop a competent diver.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Depends on the type of diving you're going to do.

For me, Nitrox is a must... I haven't done a dive on air outside of a quarry... ever. The added bottom time always comes in handy.

Depending on region, dry suit is a must as well... it gets cold in these parts but you can dive from May-early October in a 7mm wetsuit no problem.

Peak performance buoyancy is a must IF YOU NEED IT. Some people have a knack for buoyancy, and some don't. I never took the class but spent a lot of time in our underwater obstacle course working on my weighting and trim.

Although rescue is a great course, I wouldn't consider it a good first specialty but something to strive forward eventually once you're totally comfortable in the water and have everything else buckled down.

Back
Top Bottom