Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, they could solve some of the major issues of this system by having a small wing or bladder on the harness for surface use only. They could use a Mares Hub type of inflator/deflator control to keep the look clean.
Something like an ABLJ?

The “skill” of using a snorkel is a nuisance as during the diving it keeps getting in the way. I don’t believe there is a difference really in removing the the system in the water and putting it back on. It’s 2 straps just like a BCD. The skill of swimming from about 20 ft to 50 ft, back to 20 ft, and back to 60 ft was not kind on my ears. It was a skill just to show that your buoyancy remains stable. You have to fill the tank with water for 2 full fills, approx 2 1/2 mins, and basically swim upwards for x amount of time to show how much weight is in the tank after adding all the water and how to keep from sinking. Also the opposite without any water in the tank so you have to kick to stay under. I guess what made it the most annoying was that I wasn’t prepared to do all of this. We didn’t feel like we had the chance to explore the system. I think you could do the skills on your first dive and “enjoy” the second dive. Our first dive was only 32 minutes I believe and still had about 50% air left. Second dive was similar. Just my thoughts. I think it all started when we showed up at 830 and they said we would do some classroom, one dive, take a lunch break, do another dive, do some more classroom, then finish up about 4pm. Didn’t really know what to expect but it definitely wasn’t that. Maybe I was just grumpy that day but that’s how I felt. It didn’t help that our instructor seemed annoyed anytime we asked a question to clarify a question or procedure. Then it became annoying to us when he didn’t seem to understand how we couldn’t understand what he was saying. Maybe a slight language barrier? I don’t know but he didn’t seem like he was having a good time.
Avelo is having a zoom event, webinar thing on 3/29 @ 17:00 . You can also just do Audio . Anticipate lively discussion , Q & A etc . The inventor will Be involved . Lots of opining around , bring your open mind and hard questions ! Avelo - Events

Avelo has added an additional 2 dive centers, one in New Mexico and one in Spain, now a total of 7.

I meant to attend the webinar on Friday the 29th but was unable to make it. Did anyone here have the opportunity to attend?

I'm interested in seeing where this goes, and I'd try it if the opportunity arose (for free), but for the diving I do, I don't see what problem this solves. In fact, it introduces problems for me.
#1. Compared to my usual OC setup, this introduces new things to break. I like to keep my rig as simple as possible, and I've never regretted keeping points of failure to a minimum.
#2. The Hydrotank is very tall. I hate tall tanks. If you squint hard enough, you'll see a C60 on my back in the avatar photo. I always go for a smaller tank when possible and hate 80s. (S80s or C80s)
#3. There are a few things I usually like to have in my BC pockets. I never transitioned to harness/BP for this reason, and I'm not even a big fan of back-inflation BCs, although I do own and use a Zeagle Ranger that's "fine." (Scubapro Classic for the win!)

And just a comment, not really a true problem, but I don't feel like the "regular gear problems" this system claims to solve are real (for me). My rig does not weigh 70 lbs. I have no problem maintaining trim. I don't feel "drag" from my BC--and my air consumption doesn't indicate any issues with drag.

Maybe this is a situation where I'm simply "used to" all these burdens and a dive on Avelo would be an eye-opener. I suppose maybe someday I'll know....

This would seem to have the most benefits for new divers who aren't already dialed-in on traditional gear. (Are we witnessing the birth of the "trad-diver?") But, having someone go through OW on trad gear to qualify them to convert to Avelo feels like it would be a very confusing experience. On the other hand, someone who learned only on Avelo would probably need some kind of "conversion/orientation" before using a traditional BCD. So I'm left back where I started, which is struggling to understand the appeal for experienced divers.

I do wish them luck. Anyone who takes a risk to bring a new product to market deserves consideration. If they do indeed solve a gap in the market (one I can't see, but am willing to admit might exist), they may do very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom