Diving the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frenchiegirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

not to sure whether this is the right place or not to ask my question, but I'll give it a go anyway !

We are a few french divers with CMAS*** certification and advanced Nitrox but no specific teck or wreck certification. We often dive between 130/170ft in the Mediterranean

We are wondering till what depth we'd be allowed to dive the Oriskany. Would we be albe to dive air with a supply of 80% nittox for deco ? Would we plan our own bottom time or would it be imposed to us ?

differents places differents rules, so I hope you'll be able to help me get some answers :)

Thanks
Marie

thanks for the link

I've read thru all the pages but my answers aren't there !

I've e-mailed my questions to some of the charters though, I'll see what their answer is :)

Bonjour Marie,

The Deep Dixie Divers forum on Scubaboard is the home of the Oriskany. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/

A lot of the Dive Charters participate in that forum and can answer many of your questions. So drop by for a visit and let us know how many divers you are bringing, their relative experience levels, what you want to do, and where you want to stay and we'll probably give you more contrary advice than you can process.

With an advanced Nitrox certification and the depths and number of dives that you have experienced, I don't think you'll have much problem bouncing the flight deck. If you want to do extended deco diving there are charters down there that can accommodate you but you'll need to ask them what types or certifications are acceptable.

Some of the Charters I would contact are:

Gary Gary's Gulf Divers, Full Service Dive Shops, Orange Beach, Alabama

MBT http://www.mbtdivers.com/frames.htm

& Charter Boat H2O Below     Pensacola Florida

Bon Voyage,
AL

Went out with Capt. Ron, he'll let you set your own profile and has a very fast boat. (It's a loooong trip out to the O)

Area shops rent tanks and you'll need to check which will provide 80+% for deco. We picked up doubles and deco bottles at Cave Adventures in Marianna because it was on the way. That is generally out of the way for most people.

Now that the O has been down for a while, there are local shops with more technical rental gear.

The deck is now at 140 ft. with the super structure all above that, so there's plenty to see within the depths you're comfortable at. It's a big wreck, so even 2 dives there's new stuff to explore!

Enjoy!

thanks for the info guys

the remaining question is "will a CMAS***" be allowed to do a somewhat tech dive".

Here in France and Europe yes, but over in the states, I know that most require somekind of Tech certification to allow such dives.

I'll drop by the deep dixie divers to see what the pros have to say :wink:

Depends on what you mean by somewhat? Most of us aren't familiar with CMAS. From what I understand a CMAS*** is sorta equivalent to PADI Divemaster or NAUI Divemaster or Master Diver. You also say you have advanced Nitrox, does that include any decompression diving or training? If you want to do any extended decompression multi-gas diving or hangar deck penetration they'll probably require some type of "technical" certification.

AL

the French CMAS*** diver has no equivalent to Divemaster since we cannot "guide" any divers. We are entilted to dive with other *** divers with no depth limit. Knowing that the common reasonable depth for air diving in France is 200 ft. Although most divers limit themselves to 165ft with air and use trimix beyond.

Advanced Nitrox does include multi-gas decompression training. Usually air being used for descent/bottom and ascend and Nitrox 80% or higher being used for deco starting at 40ft in case of 80%

FYI, unless they've drained the Gulf a bit, the flight deck is at 148ft since Hurricane Gustav last year.

-Rob

doesn't matter, I am used to dive down to 170ft :wink:

Back
Top Bottom