Diving the Yukon!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
SoCal Divers,
For those of you who haven't visited the HMCS-Yukon yet, you're missing out! Post here, and we'll organize a charter out to the wreck. It would be a blast to get to know everyone. Most of my former students keep in touch with me as well.... and as we all know, you can never have enough dive buddies!

Sea Ya in the Deep Blue,
Mario S Caner
PADI / TDI / SDI Inst
San Diego, CA

My wife and I had the chance to dive the Yukon last August when I was in San Diego on Business. I'll be back again in mid November (alone this time) and hope to get out early on the weekend of Nov 12th to do some more diving. The Yukon would be fun, but I'd actually like to see more of the kelp forest. It's hard to do with the dive boats concentrating heavily on the Yukon. Seeing the Coronados Islands is also of interest. If I'm there at the right time for your charter I'd love to join you.

Ralph

Sounds like a great idea. I have quite a few connections here in this area, so I think we could easily organize a trip that would include a single 90+ ft dive on the Yukon, and then one or two dives at the Pt Loma kelp beds in 35-45 ft of water. That weekend works for me as well. Anyone else????

i saw your post under the split fins thread. I did the Yukon last Sunday /w/ the Blue Escape and i was favorably impressed with the way the boat was run. I am free on Sundays and Fridays. Would anyone be interested in a full day in wreck alley? Such that we could have a nice long surface interval and do say, the Yukon, Ruby E (or the tower) and then the kelp forests? I see that a lot of the San Diego boats split the day between AM & PM and that pretty much precludes a long SI.

Mike,
First let me start by saying welcome aboard. Now... I'm all for long SI's as well but in a place like wreck alley, most charter boats do only two dive charters. Typically the morning charter is from 7am to 1pm, which should provide more than enough time to offgas. My favorite trips are the night dives. I've run quite a few of them when I worked in the Scuba industry, and no one that I know have has been running them since, but we could easily start that trend again.

Typically a night dive is a one tank trip, and to a different location every time. The frequency was roughly once every two weeks with a cost of $45 won't break the bank. For those of you who don't get a chance to dive these sites at night, it's like rediscovering them all over again. Waddya say is it a go?

Mario ; )

and depending on boarding time, i may even be able to make it on some Wednesdays! I am seriously thinking about getting a Nitrox cert for these wrecks as those flat profiles almost seem to neccessitate it. Let me know whatcha got cooked up!

Well booked my flights today so my trip is on. I'll be arriving in San Diego late on November 10th and hope to get a chance to dive on Saturday and Sunday. Not too early on Saturday, I need to get organized. I've used the Lois Ann and the Blue Escape before so if everyone's busy here I'll just book a slot and take pot luck on buddies.

Let me know what you think.

Ralph

The Blue Escape has a PM boat trip going to the Yukon and then to the kelp bedson the 12th of November. Anyone interested?

Mario,

The Lois Ann has a 4 tank dive on Sunday to the Coronados that I was considering doing. How about a Saturday afternoon trip to the YuKon on the Lois Ann? I know that trip will miss the kelp but there will always be next time I guess. I also like the Lois Ann because the nitrox fills are much cheaper and easier to get than on the Blue Escape, although the head with direct deck access is very nice on the Blue Escape. It will be a pain to get in and out of the drysuit and rock boots on the Lois Ann.

What do you think?

Ralph

believe it or not (and it shames me deeply to say this) i have never dove the Coronados. I do have the 12th off (have to work Saturday 'till 6PM). Either option is fine /w/ me. Whatever y'all decide!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom