Diving Trip in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzzyBSK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife suggested that I need to go on a diving trip in June. I plan on going to the Keys for three days of diving. I want to enjoy luxury diving and have somebody change my tanks in between dives (yes.. I got spoiled from my last trip...). Has anybody tried Key Dives in Islamorada or Dive Venture in Key Largo? I think those two provide more services. Also, any suggestions on hotels in the area? Thanks for ypur help.

We will be diving Key Largo June 15 for several days and we are staying at Marina del Mar. We are diving with Rainbow Reef but I think there are at least three dive ops right there in the Marina. I have been on three trips to the keys using a different op each time, as well as a trip to Cozumel and all those ops changed the tanks after every dive. Can't imagine a crew who won't do that simply because of the liability issue (can't have someone dive off your boat with an empty tank because they forgot to change it).

Marina del Marina is inexpensive and it's nice to just walk down the dock to the boat, not to mention 2 or 3 restaurants and bars to choose from all right there.

I decided to book a few nights at the Ramada in Key Largo. I stayed there before and was happy with the room and location. I plan on diving with Key Dives in Islamorada. They say that they do 'Carribean' diving where the staff handle your gear. The last time I dove in Key Largo (Silent World I think), I had to do everything. I'll let you know how this shop is. I hope that you enjoy your trip.

You'll enjoy diving with Key Dives, they will carry your gear from the car and back, as well as, change your tanks out in between dives. Although I've found that most dive shops will change your tank if you will just ask.

Here is my two cents worth on the crew or customer changing tanks.
1. I have seen divers on the boats who didn't have a clue how to change a tank or even put their gear together and that doesn't say too much for their diving skills, so a lot of operators can gage the experience level by watching the cusotmer interact with their gear.
2. I like to change my own tank to ensure I have a full tank before I enter the water. Don't like to put my life in the hands of a mate who may be recovering from a hangover, but to each his own.

As for someone jumping off a boat without looking at how much air they have. Anybody remember what learning BWRAF when you first got certified and how it pertains to pre-dive check? If not check out this link... http://www.divester.com/2006/08/31/bwraf-could-save-your-life-so-what-is-it/

Any Questions?
Keys Dive Guide

Key Dives in Islamorada is great. In fact, that's where I got my AOW card this past November. We showed up without our medical clearances and they really went the extra mile faxing our family doctor to get the forms and everything turned out fine. Actually, their service is better than the "Carribean" service. They will hang your wetsuit up to dry for the next day. They are great to dive with especially if you plan on diving for a few days.

I just returned from Cozumel and we had to drag our gear off the boat, rinse it and store it ourselves in a locker and drag it all back onto the boat again. So, I don't know where this "Carribean" service is in the Carribean, but from my experience it's not in Cozumel. So, you'll actually get better service at Key Divers (if you are AOW dive the Eagle, there is a monster of a Goliath Grouper living there). Enjoy you're dives.

My two teenagers and I dove with Key Dives for a week last summer. Top notch people, crew and owners where excellent and easy to deal with. No complaints.

Bud & Marys offers what they call the Gucci treatment.
But just about Any operation will do it if you ask, and you should be prepared to allow you tip to be commensurate to the service you are asking for.

Bud and Mary's doesn't have a dive op. That's Key Dives who runs out of Bud and Mary's marina. Bud and Mary's web site has a Key Dives link and they do promote each other. And yeah, very nice folks at Key Dives. The owner Michael goes out on the boats and his wife runs the shop along with their dog who is just the sweetest dog you could meet.

Thanks for the advice... I booked the trip and servicing my equipment. I can't wait to get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom