Diving with a cracked rib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived with broken ribs before, in fact I had to continue working with four ribs that got broken teaching a rescue course.

It hurts, especially at the surface, but UW is not so bad. a BP/W harness setup may not squeeze you as much as a jacket, but that is up to you.

For the record, I saw a doctor, had xrays, etc. before I went diving.
I have 2 cracked ribs, but they are not seperated. If they were, there would be a risk of puncturing a lung, and I would obviously do things differently.
As it stands, my doctor basically said, there is not a lot I can do for you - they just have to heal, which will take some time.
We came to the conclusion that if I could dive with minimal discomfort, it should be no big deal. I will tell you this - sneezing caused me much more pain that diving!!!

Like I said in my original post, I am offering only info on what I personally did - not what I think any of you should do!!!!

Scott

oceancrest67:
..snip..
Why are divers diving with cracked ribs...broken ankles...back problems etc?
..snip..

In our case because my wife broke her ribs on the fourth day of an expensive 3 week diving holiday. The ribs were not separated and the pain was tolerable. The weight integrated BC helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom