Diving with a Nikonos underwater film camera in 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submerged_Stories

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all!

I'd love to get your feedback on my latest YouTube video. I bought a vintage Nikonos V film camera and took it with me on my latest dive trip to Cozumel:
I was tempted by the idea of an underwater full frame camera for under $500 with a lens designed for underwater use. Of course, plenty of drawbacks to shooting film, not least of which is that you have only 36 shots in a dive and need to wait a week or more (it actually too me months) to see what, if anything, you captured.

Let me know what you think and if you have used a Nikonos before?

Nikonos were great cameras -- and the optics of the amphibious lenses could stand up to or surpass most anything today. The original 15 mm (the early models with all-glass elements) is quite sought after and aftermarket mounts have been made to attach them to contemporary camera housings.

I preferred the Nikonos III to the later models which included electronics. The all-mechanical III could suffer a flood and be rinsed, dried, and was ready to go.

Shot a ton of Kodachrome and Fujichrome slides, years ago . . .

Let me know what you think ...
The Nikonos V has several interval O-rings that can be serviced only by a qualified tech (or someone else who is comfortable screwing things apart). A flood will likely kill the Nikonos V (because of the internal electronics).

I got nervous about diving with my Nikonos V (because of the above consideration), and quit diving with it about fifteen years ago, and began looking for a Nikonos III (no internal electronics).

Last December/January, I found, and purchased, a Nik III (from KEH) that looks to be in very good condition. A couple of months ago, I set it up on my Nik V's tray and strobe and 15mm U/W Nikkor, and test-fired it. Seems to work okay. I hope to take it diving soon.

rx7diver

I've posted some of this on another thread here, but I've been shooting professionally since the 80s and used I believe a Nikonos III in the late 80s and early 90s when I interned and freelanced as a photographer for the Miami Herald Palm Beach Bureau.
My first assignment was shooting some photos for a story about two guys who had found an old Spanish shipwreck along the public beach in Jupiter, FL. That was a lot of fun. I also took the camera to the Bahamas on one trip, and shot a shark release off Palm Beach Island as well as actual submarine races off Singer Island at the Hilton. I bought a Nikon Action Touch camera that was good down to around 30 feet and used that for years in shallow water.
Do I miss film and the darkroom? Yes. I grew up with it as my father was a professional photographer in Florida. Do I enjoy shooting hundreds of images as needed underwater without having to change film rolls? Yes. In general, I'm okay sitting on my butt at my laptop editing too, but I do miss the darkroom ambiance and smells. I'm glad I grew up learning all the analogue stuff, and I do miss it. I can still develop film when and if I want. That's easy. We don't have a darkroom here at home though, so can't print.
www.pagephotography.smugmug.com

Nikonos were great cameras -- and the optics of the amphibious lenses could stand up to or surpass most anything today. The original 15 mm (the early models with all-glass elements) is quite sought after and aftermarket mounts have been made to attach them to contemporary camera housings.

I preferred the Nikonos III to the later models which included electronics. The all-mechanical III could suffer a flood and be rinsed, dried, and was ready to go.

Shot a ton of Kodachrome and Fujichrome slides, years ago . . .

Agree @Bigbella such a great camera! I might try and pick up a Nikonos III but I really like the built in light meter and aperture priority / auto mode of the V. I know it makes it more vulnerable to a flood but the trade off is worth it to me. If you are interested you might want to check out this Youtube video of a film photographer that picked up a Nik III: Testing My New Film Camera Underwater - Nikonos iii

The Nikonos V has several interval O-rings that can be serviced only by a qualified tech (or someone else who is comfortable screwing things apart). A flood will likely kill the Nikonos V (because of the internal electronics).

I got nervous about diving with my Nikonos V (because of the above consideration), and quit diving with it about fifteen years ago, and began looking for a Nikonos III (no internal electronics).

Last December/January, I found, and purchased, a Nik III (from KEH) that looks to be in very good condition. A couple of months ago, I set it up on my Nik V's tray and strobe and 15mm U/W Nikkor, and test-fired it. Seems to work okay. I hope to take it diving soon.

rx7diver

@rx7diver thanks for the feedback! I am aware there are some internal only o-rings but I serviced the four external ones I could access and the flood is a risk I am willing to take. I think it is worth the trade-off to have the auto aperture priority like I mentioned above. I am not a good enough photographer to set my exposure manually (does sunny 16 work underwater?!). At the end of the day the cost of the Nik V will not break the bank if it floods and so far, so good for me!

Let me know what the Nik III is like diving. I would love to hear from you how it goes!

I've posted some of this on another thread here, but I've been shooting professionally since the 80s and used I believe a Nikonos III in the late 80s and early 90s when I interned and freelanced as a photographer for the Miami Herald Palm Beach Bureau.
My first assignment was shooting some photos for a story about two guys who had found an old Spanish shipwreck along the public beach in Jupiter, FL. That was a lot of fun. I also took the camera to the Bahamas on one trip, and shot a shark release off Palm Beach Island as well as actual submarine races off Singer Island at the Hilton. I bought a Nikon Action Touch camera that was good down to around 30 feet and used that for years in shallow water.
Do I miss film and the darkroom? Yes. I grew up with it as my father was a professional photographer in Florida. Do I enjoy shooting hundreds of images as needed underwater without having to change film rolls? Yes. In general, I'm okay sitting on my butt at my laptop editing too, but I do miss the darkroom ambiance and smells. I'm glad I grew up learning all the analogue stuff, and I do miss it. I can still develop film when and if I want. That's easy. We don't have a darkroom here at home though, so can't print.
www.pagephotography.smugmug.com
That's so cool! I had an old colleague at the Herald. Sounds like an awesome job shooting underwater photos for them :)

I am not yet fully into darkroom development but I am really enjoying shooting analog. The forced constraint of trying to make every shot count and the delayed gratification of development. Just much more satisfying when you get the shot then with digital.

Gor some great shots with mine. My two favorite set ups were the 28mm with the close-up kit and the 15mm. 1:1 extension tube was nice with the 35mm too.

Ah the good old days! Enjoyed your video Seth. I really would try shooting with a strobe.

I think this shot was from Cayman Brac in the 90's

Attachments

• img024.jpg
    img024.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 80
My first picture on my first dive trip post certification in San Salvador Bahamas in 1989...

1667326392377.jpeg

A rented Nikonos V and strobe...

Didn't know the results until over a month afterwards...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom