Diving with all your accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need gloves specifically to dive a wreck since you shouldn't be touching it anyway...

That depends on what you mean by "dive a wreck". There's no need to wear gloves if you dive on a wreck. But uou'll be needing band-aids if you dive in a wreck without gloves.

Just like not touching the wreck, there's no good reason to touch the line. If you're in a current use a John line to hook in.

I'm curious how you'd use a jon-line to ascend on a line in current. Is this some sort of quasi-climbing adapted technique? Two jon-lines, used to progress upwards without touching the line? Tarzan-like, swinging from jon-line to jon-line? Or a 'rest..detach...kick-like-mad..re-attach...rest' sort of 'shuffle upwards' method?? Mystified....

Jon-lines are great for their intended purpose - extended stops in current, without stress on the arms (and reduced risk of DCS through limb immobility). I've never seen, or heard, of them used for an ascent though.. ?!?

That depends on what you mean by "dive a wreck". There's no need to wear gloves if you dive on a wreck. But uou'll be needing band-aids if you dive in a wreck without gloves.

I'm curious how you'd use a jon-line to ascend on a line in current. Is this some sort of quasi-climbing adapted technique? Two jon-lines, used to progress upwards without touching the line? Tarzan-like, swinging from jon-line to jon-line? Or a 'rest..detach...kick-like-mad..re-attach...rest' sort of 'shuffle upwards' method?? Mystified....

Jon-lines are great for their intended purpose - extended stops in current, without stress on the arms (and reduced risk of DCS through limb immobility). I've never seen, or heard, of them used for an ascent though.. ?!?

I was wondering the same thing, how you would use a jon line to descend a buoy rode to a wreck in high current where it requires hand over hand to counter the current. Then, the same returning, I guess one could just do a free ascent and set a sausage so the boat could come find you a mile down current from the wreck. But whatever they think, I know what is done as common practice in the area the OP specifically asked about.

N

Personally I almost always wear gloves,
I have a thigh pouch that connects to my BCD via fastex buckle if I need extra storage on a dive.
I carry those things I'm going to need.
Everything is attached to me so that it cannot be dropped.
Usually I have a small backup torch and a dive slate in one pocket and a DSMB and reel in the other.
If I'm doing something a bit more intrepid I may have other stuff as required.

some stuff (SMB/spool) in a "butt" pocket on my BP, some stuff in a thigh pocket (slate, snorkel, tools) on my WS (or the thigh pockets on my DS), if more space is needed, I have a DR clip on thigh pocket for the other leg on my WS (also has "tools" attached). lastly, items are clipped to d-rings (lights most often), and secured with bungee loops. Its all there, just not "dangly". YMMV. And up here, we have to wear gloves.....

Adding a thigh pocket either by gluing them on, wearing over shorts, or a clip on pocket is the easiest way. Like said above use bungee cord loops inside the pocket and clip everything to that. When you need something you pull the loop out, unclip what you need, and put the loop back in. Simple.

I can only relate my own gear configuration. I have a back-inflate BC, but it has a "kangaroo pocket" on the waist belt. My "backup" light and a magnetic/normal (two sided) slate go there and there's a ring mounted on the inside to which both items are snap bolted. My "diving tool" (formerly known as a blunt-tipped knife) is attached laterally to the pocket flap. I attached a pouch to both shoulder harness straps. The left has my "oh shoot!" items--safety sausage and line, mirror, whistle, and chemical glow stick. The right has a backup folding knife and room for whatever might be needed on that dive (white balance card for photography, etc...).
I wear gloves on virtually all dives...that way, I always know precisely where they are!

The only things that get attached to rings, wrists, etc...are cameras, primary lights (I don't carry both seperately. If diving at night, my light is mounted together WITH my camera so it comes one item), and spools.

This system might not work for anyone else. However, it has worked well for me and I like it.

1) Put a length of bungee loop into each BCD pocket.
2) Put a bolt-snap on each item.

View attachment 134226

You can withdraw the entire loop from your pocket, with security against losing stuff, unclip the item you need and return the loop/other items back to the pocket. Nothing can be lost from the pocket, because it is all securely clipped on.

BCD pockets tend to be very badly designed for holding gear. A major fail in design, for most manufacturers. As a consequence, many experienced divers resort to putting additional pockets onto the thighs of their exposure protection. Those pockets are much better located for access and streamlining.

pocketall.jpg

left_pocket_contents_r.jpeg

Also, have a look at this article, which provides some options: A place for everything - Divernet
Good stuff Devon. Thanks for your, and everyone else's, reply. Just got back from WPB. I kept my gloves and backup light in my BCD pocket, but no bungees. Never thought about that. Will definitely have to invest in some. I clipped my SMB on my right side BCD D-ring. I used the gloves at BHB to stay still in the current by holding onto rocks. I used the backup flashlight a LOT since viz was horrible due to Isaac. Of course used my SMB. Never used my dive tool (aka, knife :) ) but glad I had it with me. Wife decided she liked her gloves so much she just wore them constantly, but that made accessing her BCD pockets difficult so she never pulled out her backup flashlight. For now, her knife is in her pocket, which means it's useless so long as she wears her gloves, so I think zip ties are in her immediate future. Our night dive was cancelled, so we never used our main lights or even dove with them, although I seriously thought about taking it with me due to the bad viz.

Back
Top Bottom