Diving with Coronary Artery Stents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was researching about the stainless steel stents that they use for these angioplasty procedures. If you think about it, what do you know about stents, considering that there is a ballon that expands the stent in place in the artery? What I mean is that underwater, under pressure, the arteries and blood vessels constrict due to water pressure don't they?

If so, couldn't exposing one's self to say 130' of water with a stent in place cause the stent to narrow in the artery due to the water pressure, causing reduced blood flow?

What do you think about that theory? I would hope that is definitely not the case, but even the representative from the stent manufacturer emails me back, telling me that there have been absolutely NO tests conducted with stents in place for those who SCUBA dive and what effects diving or water pressure could have on an person who had a angioplasty, with a stent installed?

My doctor tells me that it would be 6 months out of the water first before going back, but the fact that no one I've met in the Cardio field can answer that question.

What are the negatives involved with diving with a stent installed, especially under pressure?

The effects of increasing pressure occur only on compressible areas within the body, e.g., those that contain gas such as the lungs, parts of the ear and bowels. The vasculature and its contents are primarily made of up water and blood vessels therefore are largely non-compressible.

As regards other potential concerns of scuba post-stenting, these seem well covered in earlier parts of the thread.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
The effects of increasing pressure occur only on compressible areas within the body, e.g., those that contain gas such as the lungs, parts of the ear and bowels. The vasculature is primarily made of up water and blood vessels therefore are largely non-compressible.

As regards other potential concerns of scuba post-stenting, these seem well covered in earlier parts of the thread.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Well, I'm very glad to hear that blood vessels are non-compressible. The only reason I question it, is due to the fact, that I've read myself that blood vessels constrict when you go underwater and the body is under pressure.

Immersion in water can result in constriction of blood vessels near the surface of the body, but this is due to factors other than the simple pressure exerted by the water column.

If you have read something regarding the constriction of coronary arteries when one goes underwater and the body is under pressure, I'd appreciate your sharing the reference here.

Thanks,

DocVikingo

I'd like to jump in on this conversation. I did not have stints put in but had the Ross procedure. It's full blown open heart surgery were the do a little swap of arteries. After my surgery my doctor was not pleased after I told him that I wanted to continue diving. I spoke with him and another doc and both of them seemed as if they did not understand diving. I passed my stress tests but they were still not happy about me diving. After much discussion they finally gave me the go ahead. That was back in '01. I have made many dives since then and always feel better after each dive. Having said this I would still like to speak with a heart doctor that know dive medicine as well. If anyone knows of such a person please relay the info so I can learn more.
Thanks for listening to me ramble on.
back40

I realize this is an older thread, but its relevance is not. I have a question along these lines. I had an angio w/stent 2 months ago. My cardio MD said go back to diving in two months (after I'd sailed through my stress test). The question is as follows: He has me on Plavix (the more expensive coumadin, I hear). DAN said NO, NO, NO diving with this, due to increased risk of type II dcs. But I read all the coumadin guys are diving just fine. Dr. Bove has articles saying ok, if not for deep vein thrombosis. So who am I to listen to? Is plavix really that different from coumadin? My cardio MD is NOT a dive doc. What say all of you?

DocVikingo:
Immersion in water can result in constriction of blood vessels near the surface of the body, but this is due to factors other than the simple pressure exerted by the water column.

If you have read something regarding the constriction of coronary arteries when one goes underwater and the body is under pressure, I'd appreciate your sharing the reference here.

Thanks,

DocVikingo

I also take plaviks, and aspirin, and a statin drug, would that hurt me in diving? Been six months since I've been in the water. My doctor wanted me to wait this length of time first to rule out any restenosis issues that could arise?

lakesdiver:
I realize this is an older thread, but its relevance is not. I have a question along these lines. I had an angio w/stent 2 months ago. My cardio MD said go back to diving in two months (after I'd sailed through my stress test). The question is as follows: He has me on Plavix (the more expensive coumadin, I hear). DAN said NO, NO, NO diving with this, due to increased risk of type II dcs. But I read all the coumadin guys are diving just fine. Dr. Bove has articles saying ok, if not for deep vein thrombosis. So who am I to listen to? Is plavix really that different from coumadin? My cardio MD is NOT a dive doc. What say all of you?

What do you think doc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom