Question Diving with Manatee Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawaiian.hokie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Aloha all! I'm visiting Orlando next week for a conference, and while I'm in Florida, I wanted to try and snorkel with manatees and take some photos.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tour companies for Crystal River? Specifically one that would be okay with me bringing my underwater camera housing and/or doesn't require you to float around on pool noodles?

All the companies require the noodles; it’s not for your safety, it’s to protect the manatees from folks (illegally) diving down on them or harassing them. Same reason they don’t generally allow fins. The camera shouldn’t be an issue.

Bird’s Underwater is my go-to recommendation, specifically the early 6am tour. But, be aware that this is the tail end of manatee season here - technically the season ended a few days ago, and the weather the last few days has been VERY warm (mid 80s). The manatees come into the springs when temperatures in the gulf drop, so you may some of the resident manatees at Crystal River but you’re unlikely to see the very large groups of migratory gulf manatees that we see in winter.

All the companies require the noodles; it’s not for your safety, it’s to protect the manatees from folks (illegally) diving down on them or harassing them. Same reason they don’t generally allow fins. The camera shouldn’t be an issue.
That totally makes sense, I just hate swimming with a noodle and my big-ass camera set up 🤣

I'll look into Bird's! I know it's the tail end of the season but I'm just hoping to get a few good photos of even 1 or 2 of them. I figure I may as well try now since I'm not paying for the flights or lodging

hoping to get a few good photos of even 1 or 2 of them
If the river doesn't work,,,There's always Disney EPCOT's Living Seas pavilion. There's a 7 foot tall underwater glass wall at the manatee tank there, plus uptop surface viewing via stairs. It's pretty cool and up close as they dive for food and very clear water. The added bonus is the small plate foods & beer festival from around the world that is currently taking place. Makes for a fun evening after a day of conferences and it's easy to get co-workers to come along.

@Rilelen do you have any suggestions on scuba diving in/around there or Orlando this time of year? I was looking at the website in your signature and saw Devils Den and Blue Grotto. Anywhere else?

If you’re in Orlando, closest freshwater options will be Alexander (shallow), Blue Springs in Orange City (closed to water activities right now I think), and Paradise (AOW required).

If you’re willing to drive a little further, Blue Grotto, Devil’s Den, and Ginnie are all privately owned, popular, and offer on-site gear rentals and fills.

Personally, I like the state parks - Manatee and Fanning both sometimes have manatees, and Orange Grove has been nice lately. Buford is gorgeous but more advanced due to depth (165’) and overhead environment. Troy and Royal have been browned out lately, but good options when they aren’t. Rainbow River is a fun drift. If you’re cavern or cave, that options up a few additional options.

My personal favs for open water are probably Buford, Ginnie, Blue Springs, Paradise, and Royal/Orange Grove (in that order). I’m also very fond of the swim-throughs at Devil’s Den. Blue Grotto has cracked down on the deep portion lately, and has gotten extremely overpriced for what it is, esp when overcrowded with open water classes that demolish the vis.

Nearly all the springs (except Royal and Alexander) require you show up with a buddy; you can usually arrange a guide in advance if you aren’t traveling with someone or can’t find someone local to buddy up with.

There’s a nice map here, if you’re trying to figure out something not too far away. Have fun!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom