Diving without a BC, anyone do it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never even thought about no-bc diving until I saw the thread. Since I can't say that I'm an old guy, I'm not even a guy >_< I do remember old movies--James Bond, I think--where all I could see were mask, tank and fins (wetsuit optional). But it sounds fun and in shallow depths probably pretty safe. May be just the ticket when cleaning the bottom of my friend's boat...

Some ice divers I know don't use BCs. Their philosophy is that the drysuit provides bouyancy while under the ice, and in an emergency ditching weight (after finding the hole!) is the preferred option.

That's the we we used to dive before there were BCs. Of course it was typically pretty shallow compared to now. No depth guage or air guage, etc. All we had was our octo, tank and a reserve valve. You just dove till you couldn't suck air, pulled the reserve valve and surfaced.

Of course those dives were pretty shallow, so if you want to go back to the "good ole days" it's probably ok as long as your pretty shallow.

Now with deeper dives and having the luxury of perfect trim and bouyancy, I'm never going back unless I'm free diving.

Dive well!

Harry (doc) Wongwww.docwong.com
Active Life Medical and Chiropractic Center

For our project of sink a US Navy ship in Northern California:

1. Join Northern California Ships2Reef mail-list by using the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorCalShips2Reefs/ or by sending an email to: NorCalShips2Reefs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

2. Forum created for this at: http://www.divingnortherncalifornia.com

Put Saturday February 4, 2006 10:00AM to 6:00PM on your calandar for the full workshop with handouts, materials for each committee on what's needed from each committee. This workshop will be given by Dick Long and Jay Streath. This will be a "roll up your sleaves and let's get to work meeting"

Back
Top Bottom