Diving Without a BC or Wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a group called the California Back Pack Divers,type that in your search engine and it should come up.As for me it's the only way I like to dive or spearfish that is.Most commercial spearfisherman I know dive w/just a back pack,so it can't be all that dangerous as I have been told it is.
RAY

When I do vintage diving I seldom wear any flotation, other than my wetsuit, and some body fat. Just the tank and backpack.
I have done some advanced classes for european divers, and they remarked that they do not use a BC. They use the drysuit for their flotation device.
Aloha Turtleguy

when i was younger and in warm water, it was me, tank, back pack, mask, fins and reg. i stayed in water under 60 or so feet, i think. didn't keep much records back then. can up when i had @150 lbs left.worked well.
i dive with dry now and always was my wings for buyance. i also dive with doubles.

mempilot:
This is a much debated question. Here's my .02:

The drysuit inflation is for comfort (reduce squeeze). The undies and thin layer of air is for warmth.
The bc/wing is for bouyancy.
I like the redundancy of two air bladders (bc and suit), as I dive steel doubles.

Using the drysuit for bouyancy 'can' cause dynamic stability problems during the dive. Not always (it depends on how much air you put in the suit).

It comes down to preference, and you'll see a split on this.

I would have to second MP's comments.

By the way guys, I still have two of those very hard-packs in my diving locker. :11:

Cheers!

Another Rob

Back
Top Bottom