DIY 3D Printed Optical Cable Connectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davehicks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
People have been making their own Optical Fiber Cables for years, and there are a number of posts on this topic. The good OEM/Retail optical fiber cables sell for about $90 per cable! And most people need two plus spares. It's ridiculous and offensive how expensive these are when we know where to buy the fiber itself for about $7 per meter.

One of weak points of most of these DIY's solutions is getting the right connectors. The solutions range from buying connectors (at about $10 a pop or $20 per cable), re-using connectors from old cables (which may require drilling them out and gluing fiber) to using random bits of off the shelf hardware which may have poor fit and finish. I've tried all of these solutions.

A few months ago, I bought my first 3D Printer and have been making a bunch of Scuba/Camera related parts. My latest project is a set of custom designed connectors for Optical fiber strobe cables. I think these are at least as good as the OEM cables I've seen from Nauticam, Inon, etc. And it had the added benefit of being really fun to design, print, test, and refine. I've been testing these connectors for the last several weeks and have done a bunch of dives with good results.

If you have a 3D printer with some TPU and PETG or PLA material, you can print these out at a very low unit cost. You will need some M3x6mm nuts and bolts and 2mm fiber to complete.

I've just uploaded the design and STL print templates to the public sharing site Thingiverse: Inon Style Optical Fiber Cable Connectors by AwkwardSwine

Thingiverse Details:

Inon Style Optical Fiber Cable Connectors

Inon Style Optical Fiber Cable Connectors by AwkwardSwine

Make your own optical fiber cables using these connectors paired with 2mm fiber. I used both 613 multi-core fiber cables and cheap TosLink cables. The design assumes 2.2mm OD for the cables.

This design contains two styles of connectors: A 90deg elbow and 180deg straight connectors. The elbow part is printed with PETG. PLA will work but may not stand up as well to the elements. The actual connector parts are printed with TPU. These parts must be soft rubber, so no material substitutes are possible.

The 90deg Elbow part snaps together and is secured with two M3x6mm nuts/bolts. These can be purchased from many sources like Amazon. The TPU connector and strain relief parts fit in the groves of the elbow. Thread the optical fiber through the TPU parts and align them into the elbow before screwing them together.

The TPU parts should be snug enough to hold the cable secure with no adhesive. If it is not secure, you can apply a small amount of silicone-based glue to the cable as you thread it into the TPU parts. Using glue may make it difficult to reuse the connectors should a cable get damaged.

Use the connectors in combinations that work for your camera rig. I like a 90deg connector on the top of my Nauticam housing and a 180deg connector on an Inon or Backscatter strobe. With a Retra strobe a 90deg connector will work better.

I have found these connectors to work well with a firm connection that is installed or removed with appropriate resistance.

IMG20230720173523.jpg

IMG20230711150717.jpg

IMG20230720174318.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom