DIY heated vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shenzhen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The pattern for that I made from some factory vest.
6 meters of carbon heater tape placed on back and both sides.
Because of big length it provides uniform heating of body.
P3290049.jpg

Tape connected in parallel 6x1m. It takes about 3A under 12V (36W).
P3300060.jpgP3300056.jpg

Wires sewed to carbon tape to make a good and flexible connection. The contact place shouldn't be hotter than the tape itself. If not you must increase the contact area. The best idea to place wire between two layers of carbon tape.
P3300054.jpgP3300053.jpg

I've tested two types of connections.
Contacts may be sewed by sewing machine or just wraped with a wire.
As you can see sewed contact is colder than the tape itself (left contact).
Wraped contact (on the right) is more hotter than tape.
P4270088.jpg1.jpg

It's powered by 6x18650 connected in parallel (2x3). Power push button on chest.
I use it with an adjustable controller.
Canister still not ready:)
P4050067.jpg

With a half power.
IRCamera2.jpgIRCamera.jpg

It's very soft. Unlike conventional heated jackets in which heaters are in pads or with a thick heating wire, my vest do not interfere if to lean against the back of the seat or underwater.

Really interesting project... I'm modifying a very cheap Maplin heated vest for underwater use... making my own controller to make it safer... there are a lot of horror stories about uncontrollable heating/shorted wires burning divers...

Looking to make a controller with a vibration function ( one vibrate=on, two vibrates = off) so that u can tell whether its on or off and use a magnet through the suit... its a work in progress at the moment but uses an Attiny13/Reed switch/FETs/vibration motor/Polyswitches for protection etc.

FYI A friend used a motorbike heated vest which used a pressure switch to turn on/off but at depth it turned itself off and that was it, no more heat...

Last edited:
I use a through-suit bulkhead to power my vest from a light canister. Works pretty well, and there's no controller to break.

Nice project. I'm certainly interested in seeing how it turns out with the controller and after diving.

Is this thing water proof at depth? Do you wear it inside a wetsuit?
Of cause not, it's a carbon so it's all conductive.

Yes, I've made another one:)

My main idea was to make a modular system that can be used with different clothes. I made two identical heating panels that can be combined into a single vest or attach to any outfit.
F873697HMVJ98T8.LARGE.jpg

FBCBJ1SHMVJ11MT.LARGE.jpg

FFBTI9BHMVJGDPH.LARGE.jpg

FI613K7HMVJ11MZ.LARGE.jpg

Each panel has 2 meters of carbon ribbon. Chose the maximum width of the tape to provide a very even heating. Size panels 34 x 42 cm, since it is better suited for the size of my clothing.
In each panels tape connected in parallel 2x1m and has an independent power button.. It takes about 3A under 12V (36W) for each one or 72W together.
FI7WRSBHMVJ11PP.LARGE.jpg

FWEB5YRHMVJ990Q.LARGE.jpg

F78JQSSHMVJGE4N.LARGE.jpg

On each panel sewn 4 pieces of Velcro . Now I can combine them into a single heated vest . A bit like a bulletproof vest
smile.png
. It's very soft and thin.
F3LC4MRHMVJ6UJV.LARGE.jpg

FOW57LEHMVJON6O.LARGE.jpg

Due to Velcro this vest will be comfortable to wear for a big man or a small woman.
FRCRS1FHMVJASEM.LARGE.jpg

Each panel can be used independently with any clothes.
On the inner surface of conventional jackets I sewed 4 pieces of Velcro.
Now I can at any time fix the heating panel on the jacket and make it a heated jacket.
FULG9XWHMVJCGV5.LARGE.jpg

FNAAJJOHMVJATD9.LARGE.jpg

FBZ1HMQHMVJ1240.LARGE.jpg

FUIHEXOHMVJ99PX.LARGE.jpg

[video=youtube_share;DfOSocShkqk]http://youtu.be/DfOSocShkqk[/video]
It is fully warmed up to 40 degrees in less than one minute. By touch carbon is a little bit like a loose weave silk. It's very soft but strong enough. Because of big length it provides uniform heating of body.

Very nice project! I can definitely see trying to make the vest for both diving and motorcycling. Really like the gloves and would look at some socks as well as my hands and feet get cold faster than my core.

Just ordered up 5m. I've gotta give this stuff a try. Was looking at doing the heater wire in the past but I didn't like how fragile it is. This looks a lot more durable and versatile.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom