DIY PLB Dive Canister Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the canister itself, I would suggest you leave the PLB out, stuff some paper towels in it, seal it up, take it down to 100 or 150 feet for a while, surface, and then try to open it up while bobbing in some swells. It will not only tell you if it stays dry, but the big question is whether being under pressure would make it harder to open after the dive.

The unit becoming a vacuum was a concern and so I opted for a plastic pressure plug that has an external flange sold by Ace Hardware rather than a metal pressure plug without a flange sold by Home Depot. I figured the metal would likely corrode and with the external flange on the plastic one I would easily be able to pry it open in the event it did form a vacuum. But yes, a deep wet test is the only way to know for sure.

I'm also considering filling it with sand. I think this would help to reduce a lot of the positive buoyancy by eliminating much of the air, would absorb some water in the event of a leak and won't be as messy if I want to use the PLB for other adventures that don't require the canister or to simply test the PLB is operational before trips. Plus the sand would be reusable.

Interesting idea about the sand, but I would worry about concretion. You don't want to open the canister in an emergency and find the PLB locked in the middle of a boulder.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

CuzzA, it seems pretty good. Definitely do the depth test sans PLB the first time. I would also recommend perhaps a lanyard on the end cap to keep it from being lost in the event of use.

I would also recommend throwing a post over in the DIY section, which might net you some good suggestions from fellow DIY types.

I would also be wary of filling the thing with sand simply because the unit itself may not particularly appreciate sand. (I'm unfamiliar with the design so it may not be an issue at all.)

Is it made from sewage pipe or storm water pipe? I would be concerned about the ability to take pressure at depth. I had a friend who used storm water pipes capped as flotation devices for his camera. Whilst diving they imploded at about 25 metres. Also plastics will get fatigue wear in pressurising and depressurising. I had a PLB canister made in New Zealand and good to 50m. They took them off the market as the plastic began to have fatigue marks in the casing after multiple dives.

Ya gotta wonder why the manufacturer hasn't dealt with this....:hm:

.... whenever I venture off the beaten path, .... anywhere in the world.

Good luck with flying with a sealed container, much less one full of mineral oil. What would that weigh?

I used my FoodSaver vacuum to seal the PLB for added protection.

You might do this if you were flying unpressurized to 55,000 feet. I believe it would be contradicted for exposure to diving pressure.

See FJPATRUMs Post #13. Do that. Then get back to us. Until then, pure babble.

Is it made from sewage pipe or storm water pipe? I would be concerned about the ability to take pressure at depth. I had a friend who used storm water pipes capped as flotation devices for his camera. Whilst diving they imploded at about 25 metres. Also plastics will get fatigue wear in pressurising and depressurising. I had a PLB canister made in New Zealand and good to 50m. They took them off the market as the plastic began to have fatigue marks in the casing after multiple dives.

Schedule 40 PVC will easily handle 100 meters and probably much more.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Ok, so after thinking this idea over the weekend and throwing it on my BC in my pool, this idea is not going to work well. First, it is just too buoyant and has too much volume. It twisted me right over to my side. Second, I don't like the idea of oil, sand or any other fluid inside the unit for all of the obvious reasons. And finally, after doing some more research, while it may hold up to depth for a while, eventually it's going to fail.

So this idea is scratched. Fortunately it was only a few bucks and some of the parts I already had.

Now for the good news, as I did a little more research I found this Custom Divers PLB canister for $122. That is a price I think is somewhat fair. It's a hell of a lot better than the $300-$400 options I saw when shopping for this solution.

So there you have it. Problem solved. Case closed. If nothing else I hope this thread saves someone the trouble.

Custom Divers ResQLink ResQLink and 200 210 220 Fast Find PLB Dive Canister

EDIT: And wouldn't ya know. The USA distributor is down the street from me.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Custom-Divers-USA/378500885497359?sk=info&tab=page_info

Last edited:
Reviews of this canister are mixed IIRC. Their US sales agent is unreliable as hell, I tried to order a seeker SMB from them, they sent me to him, and after a few back and forth emails (starting with he had taken all their stock to DEMA so he couldn't sell me one yet) he stopped answering.

Light Monkey will sell you just the empty canister for a light, it's in their spare parts area.
Canister Parts
Not sure if you can get a lid without the holes drilled in it, but I'd assume you could eventually and for less money than one with all the cables and switches.

I feel like you could take a napkin drawing to a machine shop and have it made out of delrin for less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom