DIY pressure pot alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi 350,

the link doesn't seem to work... but didn't you make your own pressure pot to test your lights?

I'm seriously considering the sprayer versus a modified pressure cooker.

Hi 350,

the link doesn't seem to work... but didn't you make your own pressure pot to test your lights?

I'm seriously considering the sprayer versus a modified pressure cooker.

Yeah, I did... but I had a machine shop do it out of an AL80.. Trust me, you don't want to pay for a machine shop to do it! The sprayer is nice because it's big and it has quick clamps on it. My AL80 has 6 bolts you have to put in and out every time and gets to be a hassle. I think I'm actually going to (at some pont) buy the sprayer. If they claim 70 PSI working pressure that thing should be able to take 140 (that's my opinion, at least!)..

Go to harborfreight.com and type in paint sprayer...

When I pump up the garden sprayer by hand they deform (bottom rounds out) quite easily and thats before the OPV opens. I can't imagine I am pumping much more than 30-40 psi in the thing but never have put a gauge on it. You might be able to test the camera at the bare minimums by using a plastic container, however, I would feel uncomfortable putting my camera in a case tested at low standards. that paint pot looks like a good solution and it has attachments/pressure gauge already installed :wink:

When I pump up the garden sprayer by hand they deform (bottom rounds out) quite easily and thats before the OPV opens. I can't imagine I am pumping much more than 30-40 psi in the thing but never have put a gauge on it. You might be able to test the camera at the bare minimums by using a plastic container, however, I would feel uncomfortable putting my camera in a case tested at low standards. that paint pot looks like a good solution and it has attachments/pressure gauge already installed :wink:

Yeah, my thought exactly. Pretty much an off-the-shelf solution, ready to go...

I've decided to use an old pressure cooker. I've modified the OPV so it doesn't vent right away. As for the small air-space in the dome part of the lid, I'll be loading the pressure pot in a bigger tub of water so that all air spaces will be eliminated. Will use a quick disconnect on the lid to provide 60-90 psi of air.

look around for a paint pressure pot by Binks , GRACO, or DeVillibis. They are rated for 80-120 psi and can be converted to your use eaisly. Check the bay and Crages list, there are always a bunch of them listed. Thye may need to be cleaned up, but you can get any replacement parts that may be needed - get a teflon gasket if you can, they are pricy but will last your lifetime, or go cheap with the leather ones and replace every few years. All you need is a gauge, water inlet, and ball valve to release any pressure. You will find them sized from 1 quart up to 15 gallons.

If you have city water you may have 60-80 psi from your garden hose and you can add more from a BC hose from a tank.

Well, they don't really sell pressure paint sprayers in my area. Tried out my modified pressure cooker, but the main gasket seems to be shot. Was only able to pressurize to about 13 psi before air was coming out of the side. Anything I can do to "freshen" up the seal? What's a leather gasket?

Pressure cookers will never let you make it to 30-60 psi, they are just not built for that. Pressure cookers are made to run at about 10 psi so that you can raise the boiling point of water to 230F or so.

There are 2 or 3 paint pots listed on Ebay right now that look good and are cheap. Stay with the name brand as the China imports will not take higher pressures.

Leather gaskets are just that, gaskets for paint pots made from leather. Rubber can be used, but some of the solvents in paints will cause rubber to swell, leather will not swell but will break down from the solvents over time. The best gaskets are teflon, but they run $75-$100 each.

Hi Pete,

I removed 2 of the 3 OPVs on the pressure cooker :D I'm using the 3rd one as an intake from my tank to increase the pressure. To overcome the dome shape and the potential airspace, I load the tank completely underwater in a large tub. That way, I get no airspace within. Then I use a 150PSI WP hose (likewise filled with water) and attach it via QD connector to my tank. If i can just freshen up the gasket, then I think I'd be able to hit higher pressures.

As for paint pressure pots, given that I live in Manila (Philippines) those eBay sales would quickly be too exhorbitant.

I'll try sanding it down til smooth again (hey, that trick works for HP seats, why not a gasket? :D)

Give it a try, but you may see leaking past the gasket if the cover deforms. You might be able to make a strong back or reinforce the lid in some way if this occures.

Of course, you could just go out into 200' water and drop it what you want to test on a line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom