DIY scuba Hookah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to DIY a hookah rig, the MOST important piece of gear is the non-return valve. DESCO makes a nice and inexpensive one from their free-flow masks. It is male 9/16 o2 to 1/4 inch npt so its east to adapt to a scuba second stage or a FFM. A open circuit scuba bail out sytem is a good idea.

If you real want to build your own set up there are some factors you need to take in acount. The psi over bottem pressure demaind regs require around 115-150 psi so at 33ft you need an out put of about 130-165psi. Also then you need to figure out your cfm needed the average diver per US navy uses 2-3 cfm for medium work load. So you will take that number and add the number or atm down you are working and the number of divers on the compressor. So at 33ft you will need between 130-165 psi and 3-4 cfm continuous out put from the compressor for one diver.

Also you need to be carefull with the type of compressor. Some compressor are oilless and oil lubricated. Oil-less are good but the out put cfm to psi is low and usually can not be maintained. If you select an oil lubricated, you need to make sure that there is minimal oil in the air. A craftsman compressor for air tools it is no big deal if oil is in the air but with breathing air It will kill you. Devair and Quincy are the most common LP compressors for diving apps and are used by the US Navy. After the compressor you need a filtration system and volume tank you can get one from most commercial diving suppliers. I would also recommend a motor for marine environment like a Yanmar L70EE-D. Just make sure your motor has enuff hp to put out to turn the compressor if it is fuel powered or electric.

Last edited:
maybe I am wrong here, but aren't hookah systems really only rated for depths up to about 12-15 ft.

Hooka is kinda mini-surface supplied and is only really limited by the pressure and volume of the compressor.

it been awhile since ive been on here but im stilll intrested in the hhookah mainly because im taking a 2 month long trip aroound the bahamas on our boat (41 hatteras)
so ill be running it off of there i wont be diving any deeper than 35 feet probally less than 18 feet most of the time tanks just seem like they would be hassle everytime i wanna go spearing and im not to sure how many dive shops the are in the bahamas??
Thanks corey

wow i didnt even realize it was illgeal to spear fish with using a hookah system i thought you wernt allowed to tank dive and spear but thank you for that info!

I had just watched an episode of Speargun Hunter where they were on South Andros Island in the Bahamas, otherwise I wouldn't have known. That's a pretty awesome show, and the host ended up bluewater diving and spearing mahis off a navigational buoy off the island in a couple thousand feet of water. Sheri Daye has guts, spearing in those waters. I don't know if I'd do it.

haha thats pretty funny i just watched that episode to they spear dolphin at the end its pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom