DIY Single Tank Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

80AL's are 7.25 I believe.

I was considering using a smaller diameter, cut much like yours, to rest the tank upon. The tank would rest on the two top-inner ridges of the semi "U." In retrospect this seems like a bad idea as the PVC "U" would/could flex the ridges out in some situations, and this, in turn, would leave some slack in the tank straps.

I now think the 8" diameter you used may be the best option. Having the tank rest upon the bottom-most inner part of the "U" would leave no material that could flex between the tank and the plate.

Sidenote about PVC: I don't ever use the larger diameter PVC pipes on jobs I do, but in the smaller ones I have seen and felt there to be two different white plastics used. Some pipes are more stiff, and seemingly more brittle (though I don't know this for sure). I'm not sure what the different types' names are, but I would think one would want the typical PVC material over the more dense & less flexible stuff.

I'll take a look at 8" PVC the next time I go to Home Depot.

I'm thinking PVC might be workable somewhat like Delrin, and that I could dremel off the corners of the STA for safety and ease of use. Has anyone sanded or ground PVC?

Best,

Dave

PVC thickness is rated in numbers. Schedule 40 is pretty standard for house plumbing. Schedule 80 is high pressure and thick walled. 80 is usually gray in color vs 40, white. I would think 2 inch cut in half might work....ok for a while. It would space the tank an inch away from the wing. (radius of 2 is 1) and if you use schedule 80 I doubt it would give at all as far as bending out. But having a round bottom on the mount, it won't be as stable as a piece of bent sheet metal that is flat on the bottom. It may try to roll and crack or pull the screws loose.

And yes, you can grind and sand PVC no problem. Smooth the edges, shape the edges, make little moon shapes...haha

I used 4" UHMW PE U channel section and recessed it for all the grommets/eyelets in my recwing... made a sex nut to hold it on... works great

R.e. deterioration of PVC... only in sunlight, and not likely within a few years... can break in very cold weather, overflex in very hot. UHMW does not break when cold like PVC. CPVC would be more sunlight resistant. Or paint it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom