DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- EZ SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

which is nothing but another failure point and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :D
While I said this tongue in cheek, too many people love to give these terse, in your face, snarky remarks that seem to do nothing but assuage the poster's ego! :D They are discussion busters and should be avoided.

Privateer Divers also have finger spools in various sizes. Check both the Manta Industries and Highseas Millwork sections, as both have spools.

D

While I said this tongue in cheek, too many people love to give these terse, in your face, snarky remarks that seem to do nothing but assuage the poster's ego! :D They are discussion busters and should be avoided.

I really hope you did not direct that at me, my posts have been very polite. But that rig is adding complexity.

Equipment is not a solution for a skills problem. Adding extra do-dads DOES increase failure points. How the heck is saying something increases failure points "snarky"?

Dive your gear how you want. I am not a "drink the kool-aid" DIR configuration guy, but alot of my gear looks alot like their gear because they have ALOT of valid reasons for how they do things. Simple, uncluttered kit is good diving protocol.

The bolt snap on a finger spool is how you wind the darn thing up, so adding the other stuff to eliminate the bolt snap is not a step in the right direction. As I said, that spool/SMB/velcro solution is not dangerous or anything, but it is not the best solution in my opinion. I have shot a few more bags than the guy that put that together and I learned to do it from a guy that has shot ALOT more bags than me. None of my post have been to assuage my ego but since you clearly do not value the opinions of the posters that don't agree with you I won't clutter up the thread with mine.

So was the octo. If people had better buddy breathing skills, we wouldn't have a need for that safe second, which is nothing but another failure point and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :D

I am not sure why people are so resistant to change or to accept that some skills need to be simplified.

Really? You are going to compair the velcro to the use of a octo?

The safe second did not add a failure point, it added REDUNDANCY. It increased safety and made sharing air much easier and safer. If that spool velcro thing made anything simpler and safer I would be all for it. It does neither of those things. It makes the whole process more complex.

Do you really want to say Lynn is resistant to change or not willing to simplify skills? Really? Lynn? She may be the most concientious person on this site and is always very kind to everyone, in every post of hers I have ever read.

If you want to stop the "snarky" comments, as the some famous guy once said "Become the change you want to see in others."

I personally didn't see your post as snarky, perhaps it is just more of what others have said.

The bolt snap on a finger spool is how you wind the darn thing up, so adding the other stuff to eliminate the bolt snap is not a step in the right direction.

Lets talk about adding "stuff" and not going in the right direction. IE D/E boltsnap...

The human hand doesn't work for winding cord on a spool for what reason?
You "need" the "clip" to lock off the line "at depth" for what reason?

Seems logical that eliminating one object simplifies the design if one has the smarts to utilize the tool without adding more tools to the process. If I could have thought of a way to secure the line at the surface without velcro, that would be eliminated too as well as the boltsnap. :eyebrow:

Yep, probably, unless I think up something even more efficient and effective....:D

Or until I decide one of these are worth the money spending on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew5FyoUkXU&feature=channel
Even reading the comments on this superbly and simply designed reel/spool combo, it amazes me the negativity and resistance to something better or more useful.

Last edited:
"We'll just see if you are using that contraption in another 250 dives...."

And if he is, does that mean that he "won" and you "lost"? Conversely, if he is not, does that mean he is the "loser"?

There certainly seems to be more going on here than a simple suggestion and diver's opinions about that device. It sounds as if something more weighty, perhaps clashing ideologies, is coming into play. So the OP carries a unique piece of equipment that he finds intriguing. What's with all the debate concerning its relative value to whole philosophies and schools of thought within the diving community? The whole debate could have been avoided by the observance of two words..."to me". Such as, "TO ME, the the device is an solution to a problem that doesn't exist." This implies that while someone might think the item of benefit, others might not. At the same time, if "the other side" had attached those two words to a reply, then we would all have recognized ALL the statements concerning the item to be exactly what they are...OPINIONS...and as such can be heeded or ignored at one's discretion.

I have to admit that I'm rather stunned to see this type of terse interplay over something that is, after all, just a proposed modification. Next, we'll all be arguing over what type of octo keeper should be used.

If I could have thought of a way to secure the line at the surface without velcro, that would be eliminated too as well as the boltsnap. :eyebrow:

Add another 12" of line and tie it like this:

Wrapping-Presents-Fit-to-Be-Tied_Cook_350.jpg

Back
Top Bottom