DIY version of the sola 2100 FS video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi heehee62, that was the one I was thinking for my next project... a guy over on CPF had one and its still working which is a good sign!

Ebay "4000 lm", "120m" Dive Light.

You could buy one and try ? if the reflector doesn't come out then u have a nice torch..

My only worry was the length being too long for mounting on an arm or goodman handle... So I was more likely to chop it and have a canister for power.....

BTW I've no idea what the lumens of my chinese torches are, definitely not 1800lm as advertised.. more like 800-900 if i'm lucky.. and expect 4000lm is not true either.. half that maybe.. but still bright.... two 800lm lights is more than adequate for me..

I got one last week and really like it. It's definitely not 4000lm but it's pretty nice. I don't know how long the battery life is at this point and I would prefer 26650 batteries but.... What I really like about it is the sliding switch that infinitely varies the power output from 0 to full brightness. Drawback is is would be pretty easy to accidentally turn on (a rubber band or inner tube piece would probably fix that potential. I may get another one or two to modify them into floods.

Jim

I'm all for DIY, but with the new Impact video lights from DiveRightInScuba, do you think these are still worth it?

Austin

My DIY modifications were to the original DRIS 1000 lumen lights. I just bought a pair of the new Impact shorties with the video head for my second camera rig. So that's kind of an answer...for the same money the light designed for video is better than my modified light.

On the other hand, in the last few weeks I have helped a couple of friends add holographic diffusers to cheap Chinese lights and the math still favors DIY if money is the main consideration and you are willing to take a chance on a cheaper light.

Plus it's just fun to do it yourself sometimes.

Hi heehee62, that was the one I was thinking for my next project... a guy over on CPF had one and its still working which is a good sign!

Awesome so many of us modding the same light! Just bought one to try first. Thanks for the link johnohuk, that really helps though the epoxy thing scares me a little - but fairly cheap anyway.

I'm going to make a DIY dive rig too 10-minute DIY PVC GoPro Dive Video Rig - YouTube.

Plus 2 dive rigs looked like a fig rig put together DSLR Camera Stabilizer for Under $5 (Part 3 of 3) - Homemade Film School - YouTube

So I'm going to see if I can make one dive rig for my sister and one for me and then have them be able to attach to each other to form a fig rig - saves on stuff to pack. I doubt the rig will be that stable but good for stuff like filming my sister's 2 year old daughter snowboarding at her short body height.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited:
neonstingray, I hadn't seen the impact lights from DRIS but they are now on my shopping list. Just need to make some adapters for one or two to put with my camera. Cool stuff, if they have decent battery life, that is. Just asked about that on DRIS's web page. Anyone know off hand the batteries and longevity per charge?

Similar idea here, except that I used white matte spray paint to cover the parabolic mirror. Less work (paint, let dry and you're done) and the loss in light strength is minimal. Those lights are about $12 each and output at least an estimated 600-700 lumens.

View attachment 179663 View attachment 179664 View attachment 179665

I've done the same. Will try silver paint my next go around. Works very well with a very even light distribution. I am going to try 3Ddivers holographic diffuser in my latest light.

If you want a good idea of the actual lumens from the LED (not necessarily in the beam) check the amp draw from the battery and look it up on the CREE spec sheet. The XML-U2 is a little brighter than the T6, but not much. At 1.0 -1.1 amps (what I get from the yellow $12 light above) it is about 400 lumens. Originally these were advertised as 1000 lumen lights, then 800 lumen with a realistic 600 lumens. I use fully charged (4.2 V) 18650s and get a full hour of light from my pair. I also got this light http://dx.com/p/singfire-sf-749b-cr...light-1x26650-18650-3xaaa-277883#.UyipSlf2Q3Q and it draws about 1.2 - 1.3 amps. You can load it with a 25650, 18650 or even 3 x AAA. It has a magnetic switch and is much better made than the plastic ones. Check the o-rings first. Also if you remove the LED module mark the position (rotation) first. If you put it in differently the magnetic switch is mis-aligned and doesn't work. It is a pain to find the right spot again. It is easy to get to the reflector on this model. I did dive test it and it is waterproof, and easy to work underwater. Much better light than the yellow plastic ones. The new one is as bright side-by-side with my DRIS 1000 Lumen (non-shorty) one. The same lights that 3Ddiver has his diffusers in.

Anyone know off hand the batteries and longevity per charge?

The batteries that came with the Impact Shorty's are marked LC 26650 5000mAh 3.7v. I think they are supposed to be good for 2-hours run time---saw that on their web site or while trading messages with Mike at DRIS. I haven't run them that long myself, but my last dive was 72 minutes with the lights running the whole time, FWIW.

So it turns out that the impact light head still needs a $50 battery source separate from the $85 light head. Back to DIY for me, I guess. I can't justify another $300 for lighting for my "cheapo" $400 camera. At ~$45 total per light head on my DIY, I'll be well ahead in terms of cost.

So it turns out that the impact light head still needs a $50 battery source separate from the $85 light head. Back to DIY for me, I guess. I can't justify another $300 for lighting for my "cheapo" $400 camera. At ~$45 total per light head on my DIY, I'll be well ahead in terms of cost.

$50 battery source??? I get my 26650 batteries for $18/pair for actual 4000 mAH each. DIY still needs power from somewhere. Unless it is a custom battery or a new type of battery it shouldn't make a difference in the cost. An 18650 will work in place of a 26650 with a simple plastic sleeve.

Some light tests
Singfire with holographic diffuser.jpgyellow $12 light with white reflector.jpgYellow $12 light and Singfire togeter.jpg
The first is the DX Singfire ($19 with nice alum body and magnetic switch) with holographic diffuser. The second is the $12 yellow DX light with a white painted reflector. The last is both together. Both lights have the same listed light output. The middle one is a Cree XML-T6 at 940 mA on a 18650, the left is the Singfire with a Cree XML-U2 at 1200 mA on a 26650, and the last is both. Both batteries were fully charged to 4.2 V. To get 900 lumens you have to drive the Cree at close to 3000 mA.

If 3D and I ever get together I would like to do the same test with his Impact. I think the impact might be a little brighter, as I cannot tell by eyeball the difference between the Singfire and the DRIS 1000 lumen long body with no diffuser installed.

Raftingtigger,

Did you think the holographic diffuser worked better or the white paint? I can't tell just looking at the photos (maybe cause I'm inexperienced and don't really know what to look for).

I'm still waiting for my supplies to arrive so haven't started my DIY mod yet. Hopefully everything will come this week.

Back
Top Bottom