DIY wet mount lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to make a wet mount lens using a Magic Filter for my PT-030 . The idea is: I could use it in shallow water with natural light where a strobe might not help, i.e. wide angle shots. I want the luxury of being able to switch between the two. Any suggestion on how to do that?

Mike,
You know the thought has crossed my mind as well. The only way I can think of is that most screw on filters ... say like a UV filter have what appears to be a retaining spring that holds the glass in place with pressure. My first thought was to try and remove the clip, make a magic filter the same size, overlay it and then somehow reverse the above to put it back together. However after just looking at it again there appears to be a gap big enough to wedge the filter between the UV glass and clip. Not sure what effect, if any, the UV glass will have on the Magic though.
I've even gone so far as asking Alex Mustard to see if they had plans to make a screw on adapter for the Magic Filter. He said they were "looking into it". In any case its a great idea because I think it would sell. In any case, let me know what you find out!

The Magic filter website actually suggests using a 77mm UV filter holder, so there apparently isn't any issue with UV filters.

I think the key issue here is how the Magic filter will withstand direct exposure to water, especially salt water. This filter appears to meant for use in a dry camera housing, not as a wet filter. Since it's a gel filter, my guess is that the filter will swell, go cloudy and possible slough off the filter layer if you soak it in water.

However here is the Magic Filter web page with info about using them with strobe lighting:

http://www.magic-filters.com/tips/flash.html

There is a whole set of pages here for Magic Filters:

http://www.magic-filters.com/tips.html

gert7to3:
I think the key issue here is how the Magic filter will withstand direct exposure to water, especially salt water. This filter appears to meant for use in a dry camera housing, not as a wet filter. Since it's a gel filter, my guess is that the filter will swell, go cloudy and possible slough off the filter layer if you soak it in water.

Thanks Gert. Just an FYI from the website:

The filters are made out of polyester, which is much more durable than gelatin, the more traditional material used for gel filters. Magic Filters can be cleaned with a soft cloth and even washed in water.
The quest continues.

Your camera (SP350?) has the capability to set the white balance.
I would skip the filters all together and use that.

At the depth you want to shoot point the camera at the sun then tell it to adjust the white balance. This works much better than a filter becuase you can change it to whatever depth your at. Just don't use your flash or everything will be red.

That works Ok for close ups but not that well for wide angle, at least for me. There is also the time factor to keep adjusting the white balance, while a great shot gets missed. I admit it, I take pictures, not photographs most of the time so am looking for an easy way.

I just found this thread as I'm struggling with the same issues. I'm diving Grand Cayman and Cozumel in a week so I picked up a magic filter from Reef Photo. The salesman warned me that it won't hold up to salt water and it's so expensive that I'm not willing to risk it. Thus, I'm mounting it inside my housing.

HOWEVER, if any of you are braver than me, here's what I can offer you:
I found a way to mount the magic filter onto my Canon WP-DC12 housing which has approx 57mm o.d. lens barrel. Maglite makes a rubber anti-roll device which holds colored filters for their 'C' and 'D' cell flashlights and this happens to fit the canon housing. In fact, the maglite filters are 52mm o.d. and they snap into the rubber holder. I intended to tape the magic filter onto the clear filter and wet mount it this way. Note: for a snugger fit, I used silicon on the inside of the rubber anti-roll device for a more secure fit. Still, rough currents may dislodge the filter and in-water testing is required.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.zbattery.com/asxx376.html

Good Luck!

I'd be hestitant to use a magic filter as a wet filter.

BTW, why don't you email Alex Mustard or ask over in wetpixel.com where he tends to hang out when he's not off on one of his exotic dive trips... :wink:

I too am skeptical of using the Magic Filter as a wet filter. I was hoping to somehow sandwich it into a 46mm filter ring of some kind, either bayonet or screw on. I leave for Roatan in two weeks and really would like to have something by then. I'll check wetpixel.

Anything that screws onto the port will get wet because there are holes in the port to allow water in. Your best bet is to unscrew your port and cut a filter to fit on the inside of the port glass. That means you'll be stuck with it the entire dive. The bright side is when I used the filter this way, it didn't seem to be bothered by a strobe when I went deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom