Dizziness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, no trouble equalizing. I don't use a hood. I am in FL. So not to much cold water here. Although the time it happened the worst is when I went to a spring. Water was 77. But water temp on most dives is in the mid 80's.

Went to Blue Springs today. I had no issues. Maybe i just had something weird going on with my ears for a bit. IDK.

i was at the quarry one time and a lady was having the same problms in the water. when she got out she was real dizzy and couldnt walk, they got her to aplace to sit and out of her gear. then every time she tried to get up after that she got dizzy again and was fine while she was sitting.

she ended up having something wrong with her ears ( growth or something to throw off her balance ) that was undiaganosed. she will be fine, but wont be duiving for a while.

think it was one of those like 1 in 10,000 people have this type of thing

What you describe happens to me, also. I believe it is the first symptoms of dehydration from the canned air. You can really dry out and not realize it. Having experienced heat exhaustion, I recognized my symptoms. Try super-hydration - costs nothing, no harm, no foul, and no meds.

another medical (prescription) anti-motionsick/neasea route is a patch. it lasts for 3 days (so great on boats). it will make you VERY thirsty though. it's called Transderm Scop (scopolamine?).

something that i never thought would work but did was Ginger Pills. it's natural and doesn't have any side effects.

good luck!

i have had this same problem, once.
my instructor informed me that it was from one ear getting the cold water in it and not the other.
now the first thing i do when i hit the water is get water in both of my ears.
dont worry, it happens.

I didn't have any problems last time I went diving. It has been over a month since I have been though. But I hope it was just something with my ears at that time and not something else. Thanks for checking in with the problem! :)

All good suggestions. The one that I didn't see was being weightless. This can sometimes cause your symtopms until you get used to the sensation. Being a new diver this is a possiblity.
Added to that is your last post stating things were better on your last dive. Go see an MD. If you eliminate inner ear issues then what's left? Weightlessness.

Same used to happen to me until I started doing the following.. At start of dive as soon as decend, I get water into both sides of my head under the hood so the water pressure and water temp are the same in both ears. Maybe it doesn't do anything but I haven't had it happen since I started doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom