DM Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also known people who were named as defendants because they were on the other boat anchored at the same dive site. There are no myths about how sleazy lawyers can be.
I will call BS on this and ask for evidence.

Uber doesn't pay the driver - the driver is an independent contractor - Uber just facilitates the transaction. Note California's efforts to CHANGE some of the applicable law to which you allude with regards to Uber. I notice you didn't actually answer my question regarding what the illegal practices you mention are.

What particular myths?
The myth that if people on the boat know you are a DM or instructor they'll ask you for guidance, follow you around underwater, turn to you first if something is wrong, ask you to buddy with the nervous newbie? I've personally witnessed all those events and if you respond affirmatively (because you're a nice guy) you legally create a duty of care.

I've also known people who were named as defendants because they were on the other boat anchored at the same dive site. There are no myths about how sleazy lawyers can be.
On the other side of the pond, in the UK, things are a little different. Uber drivers are workers and entitled to Holiday Pay, Sick Pay and Pension contributions from Uber.

DM pay?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you were serious? DMs are rarely paid. I'll pay DMs who assist in my courses if they don't require any training.

"Living the dream" is a pipe dream.
Yoou seem very jaded...oh I see you're in Seattle; maybe that's the problem. In addition to the pretty good equipment and diving discounts, DMs in Phuket, Thailand, where I'm based, also receive about 20% of the shop fee for guiding fun divers on local shores dives and 15-20% of the fee when guiding on 2 or 3 dive daily boat excursions. These boat dives also include full hot cooked breakfast, lunch, snack, and drinks. Nobody's getting rich but it's certainly not nothing.

Yoou seem very jaded...oh I see you're in Seattle; maybe that's the problem. In addition to the pretty good equipment and diving discounts, DMs in Phuket, Thailand, where I'm based, also receive about 20% of the shop fee for guiding fun divers on local shores dives and 15-20% of the fee when guiding on 2 or 3 dive daily boat excursions. These boat dives also include full hot cooked breakfast, lunch, snack, and drinks. Nobody's getting rich but it's certainly not nothing.
So what's the ROI from all the money you spent becoming a DM? Are you even in the black? What if you spent the time for your DM with a well paying job?

All what you describe is great, but from a financial point of view, it doesn't seem to add up.

What's that in numbers as in Dollars? I know in some super busy shops you can make an OK living from a young college students perspective. Most shops aren't super busy though, especially not outside of high season. Even in a place like Koh Tao, that's super busy, you won't find many DMs that actually live of being a DM.

BTW: I'm pretty jaded when it comes to the dive industy. IMHO course directors and instructor trainers lie a lot or at least heavily embellish and to sell 'pro' classes.

What's that in numbers as in Dollars? I know in some super busy shops you can make an OK living from a young college students perspective. Most shops aren't super busy though, especially not outside of high season. Even in a place like Koh Tao, that's super busy, you won't find many DMs that actually live of being a DM.

BTW: I'm pretty jaded when it comes to the dive industy. IMHO course directors and instructor trainers lie a lot or at least heavily embellish and to sell 'pro' classes.
I'm speaking about here in Phuket...Ko Tao is it's own thing and I don't have first hand experience there. Also, I'm sure it varies from shop to shop here in Phuket and there are also good shops who prefer to keep good staff around and treat them fairly and those who don't really care...just some dive monkey who will work for bananas.

For shore dives, my shop pays about $10 per diver per dive for shore dives. So some days it might be 1 diver for one dive and $10 and others 3 divers for two dives so $60. For the daily boat dives, it's about $35 (usually guiding 1 or 2 divers). Granted it's not a lot but it's not nothing that so many are posting about in the US. Plus, if one lived simply, these figures could probably pay for living in Thailand, at least during high season.

I agree that a lot of shops/instructors talk IDCs as some great opportunity...being a DM myself, I don't see any real benefits for me but others can make it work. There are a decent number of Western instructors in Thailand making a go of it.

So what's the ROI from all the money you spent becoming a DM? Are you even in the black? What if you spent the time for your DM with a well paying job?

All what you describe is great, but from a financial point of view, it doesn't seem to add up.
My situation is different than most as I'm retired living in Thailand and did the DM course as a personal challenge and to better my diving skills, not as entry to the paid professional ranks of diving. That being the case, my DM course cost about $700 and over the three months I got maybe $500 worth of "free" diving by guiding shore and boat dives while "learning." Combine that with gear discounts and tank fill, liveaboard, and day boat dive discounts I've received as a "professional diver," I'm actually way in the black after barely a year. Bust as I said, my situation is unique as I'm not in it for the pay or to make a living from diving.

So some days it might be 1 diver for one dive and $10 and others 3 divers for two dives so $60. For the daily boat dives, it's about $35 (usually guiding 1 or 2 divers).
And some days nothing? What's that a month or a year? It's not high season all year around.
That's a hobby, not a job.

And some days nothing? What's that a month or a year? It's not high season all year around.
That's a hobby, not a job.
I never said it was a job...my initial reply was to those posting that, at least in their experience, DMs in America received little to nothing in pay/benefits for becoming a DM. I just wanted to say it's not the same everywhere. And in Thailand, the cost of living is such, that this compensation would support a simple lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom