Do Canadians have math problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it has to do with the law the only time you don't have to answer a math question is if you win at the lotterie, and 99.999999% of the time the McDonald employee will give you the answer as he is a University student trying to make some money to pay for his education, so we let them figure it out for us as most of the time, we are to busy working on calculating our interval time setting up multiple dive calculation and those 3+1-1x3 are just too hard for us to figure out wait where is my computer so i can do a check on the internet to get the answer wait ANYBODY HERE HAS A HAND CALCULATOR anyway so why not let the university kid figure it out.

reminds me of the convience store worker who couldn't give me the correct change (45 cents) because she was out of quarters. The cash register told her to give me 1 quarter and two dimes. She didn't know what to do and had to call her manager. :rofl3:

You got to be joking...............

Unfortunately this is not a joke. It is common all over the US as education standards are actually lowered. People pass becuase they can pass a test. Teachers are more or less encouraged to gear all instruction towards passing standardized tests and not allowing students to think on their own or for themselves. I knew a kid who at the age of 19 could not tell time on a regular clock because all he ever saw were digital ones in his school. It also why if you go into a Mickey D's and tell them it's to go they will take your order and then ask if it's for here. Why? Because the register tells them to do it. They are so indictrinated to follow instructions like lemmings that they do not even hear you. I'd love to hack into their system and change the last instruction to say- "now wave your arms and cluck like a chicken before giving customer their change!" Bet a good 90% would do it.

You got to be joking...............

This isn't just a US thing. Here in Canada I went into a McDonalds with a friend we order 2 fries and 2 milkshakes. Fries were $0.99 and milkshakes were $0.99. She rang up the total and said, "That will be $5.87". I tried to explain to her that four items for 99 cents would be under $4. Even with taxes there is no way it can be $5.87. I knew if she pressed Total it would take a manager to correct the situation. She insisted I was wrong and would print a receipt to prove it.

She printed the receipt and it had an Egg McMuffin on it (this was 7pm). She then told me we couldn't order an Egg McMuffin after 11am. :confused: After 5 minutes she finally realized her mistake. She got the manager. After 3 minutes he told us, "You cannot order an Egg McMuffin after 11am." Another 5 minutes and the manager understood the mistake.

The manager then refunded me the cost of an Egg McMuffin. When I ask for the taxes as well he looked at me like his brain was going to explode. I told him what the taxes were and he gave me that as well. I probably could have told him the taxes were $2.07 and he would have given it to me.

So sad but true.

Unfortunately this is not a joke. It is common all over the US as education standards are actually lowered. People pass becuase they can pass a test. Teachers are more or less encouraged to gear all instruction towards passing standardized tests and not allowing students to think on their own or for themselves...
And we bitch about the low standards in place to get an open water certification.

Back
Top Bottom