Do doubles have to both be new and from the same 'lot' ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirt Pineapple

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Catalina s80 from 2021 that I've only filled twice. I want to buy another Catalina s80 to use as doubles for wetsuit ocean diving but someone said they need to be from the same exact lot and hydro? Is this true?

I have an Catalina s80 from 2021 that I've only filled twice. I want to buy another Catalina s80 to use as doubles for wetsuit ocean diving but someone said they need to be from the same exact lot and hydro? Is this true?
They been to have the same height not to stress the manifold. At least my D18's were assembled using "random" bottles and have been just fine for a couple years

It’s not ideal. There’s no guarantee how similar the tanks are going to be. When they are the same lot you can be pretty confident they will be similar.

But it’s not exactly a rule. I have a set of LP 85s that were made nine months apart. They’re doubled up and have worked fine for the last five years.

It’s not ideal. There’s no guarantee how similar the tanks are going to be. When they are the same lot you can be pretty confident they will be similar.

But it’s not exactly a rule. I have a set of LP 85s that were made nine months apart. They’re doubled up and have worked fine for the last five years.
But if I were to buy the same exact model of AL80, the Catalina s80, would it be okay? Or is the manufacturing tolerance that much difference that even the exact same models can be different?
Especially since I have only used my existing 2021 AL80 twice.

The only people who can answer that question for you is Catalina. That’s why most people say you have to have them from the same lot, because that’s the only way you can be certain that they are the same.

But you’re overthinking it. It will be fine. :)

@Dirt Pineapple ‘s point is an excellent one. When you’re putting them together, make sure that you square everything up nicely. There’s a zillion YouTube videos and scuba board post about putting together doubles. You can’t just set them on the ground, flat bottoms or no, and use the bands to bolt them together and hope everything is the way it’s supposed to be.

But none of that is changed by whether your tanks are from the same lot or not. You have to take the same care no matter what.

This reminds me of a weird (true) story .... I was servicing tanks a few years back and the group I was working on included two steel 95s, both 30+ years old. Both from different customers.

I was logging in the serial numbers and I'll be darned if the two tanks weren't from the same batch (serial numbers about 20 numbers apart if I remember). I wanted to tell the customers to get together and double them up -- it was just too strange that they ended up together after all that time! LOL

I had some of the older steel HP100s that I doubled up. There were of different heights but it worked out. I have never had a problem with aluminum cylinders from the same maker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom