Do I need a light system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at getting the following setup:
Camera = Sony HC5 HD
Housing = Ocean Images Inc HC5 housing

I know very little about underwater videography so I have a couple of bewbie questions. First, do I need lights to shoot daylight underwater video in clear water like the Bahamas? I can't afford lights right now so i'm wondering.
Secondly, for night video-would my 10 watt HID light be enough? There would actually be two of us with 10 watt HIDs. Or is this better tackled with a light system?

I found a good deal on the camera at butterflyphoto.com for $805.

Edit: I put HC3 when I meant HC5

If you have decent/good lighting (meaning daylight) for the most part the 20-60 feet range will often be fine without lighting and a red filter, though of course lights will help (darker conditions, including greater depths), under ledges etc. And night dives also :wink:

The 10 Watts (again taking into budget considerations) will get you some footage also. You may want to mount the light to your housing via arms or otherwise as oppossed to hold and pointing the light. Again not perfect but to start off you will be fine and will get some shots. In clear water, good daylight I barely turn my lights on ever because it is not needed.

Do not rush into getting lights just because you think you should, take your time and you will still get alot of great stuff. BTW, as an aside, the HC3 is the older model Sony.

I just corrected my post to read HC5 not HC3. That was a typo. Thanks for catching it Bubbleblower07 and welcome to the board. Thanks for the advise too.

First, do I need lights to shoot daylight underwater video in clear water like the Bahamas?
I don't and usually get consistenly good results. The only time I've wished I had lights recently was when a DM spotted a shark about 15' into a crack under a reef. Even with her divelight it was too dark.

I've shot off the Bahamas, Bonaire and BVI's recently without feeling like I needed lights. You'll definitely want to use the red filter in sunny Caribbean water to knock down some of the blue at depth.
I shoot an HC1 so your experiences should be similar - maybe even slightly better since I think the HC5 has slightly better low-light performance than mine.

Lights will help but not mandatory. I dove for about a year and everything was ok till I dove the Oriskany at 130'+. The footage turned out very dark. So now I have a light system, just waiting for the arms.

Thanks, for the welcome thought I had posted way back when but lost the info so had to sign up again :)

As to the typo, was not trying to correct you, was just an FYI :)

You may want to do a quick look at the Sony HC7 - has larger sensor and some other features for not much more and the Canon HV-20 has also had some good write ups (have not tested any of these myself ... yet :wink:

Do not go too crazy though in the selection process though, figure out your budget and needs (small or large system, what features you really want/need) and then have fun. I have used cameras that do not even come close to these in the past, left them on total automatic, and have gotten nice footage (not IMAX but people like it :) )

You'll be surprised how good things look with just the filter. Forget the daytime lights for now, especially in clear tropical water.

10w HID will be OK for night dives although most of them have a narrow beam angle. If you have a buddy with you and they don't mind, let them use both lights to illuminate the shot. Hand signal for when you want the lighting spreadout or tight.

I've shot quite a lot of what I consider good footage without lights, you NEED a filter or manual white balance (at least in my experience) otherwise you are liable to end up with photage that is blue on blue with blue bits (my first day of video in the Bahamas is very like this).

Other than that, yes lights are nice, but certainly not what I would call required (in the water you specified).

You guys are great. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I will definitely get a red filter. The Ocean Images housing I'm looking apparently has a toggle to take off and put on the filter while underwater.

I will definitely compare the HC7 as well. I had read from some members on the board that this new model wasn't as good as the HC5, but I will research it. I just want something that I can take video with and make DVDs for family. I don't want to have to buy a new camera in 2 years because mine has oudated technology. I have a camcorder now but it's one of the High 8 digitals from 2000.

My buddy won't might illuminating my targets. He's my hubby :) I'll try it on a night dive and see how we do with both our canister lights. They can be switched from focused to flood so we'll see. I'm not ready to spend an additional $900+ on lights just for the handful of night dives I'll do.

Any body have any books they can recommend? I need something that can teach me the basics of underwater videography and when to use filters, WB, etc.

Pretty much use the filter when lights are not on (though very shallow dives may get red a bit when pointed at the sun, but between 15-20 feet to 60 feet in good light, filter is the way to go, sometimes even deeper depending on light.)

Not sure if the housing you are looking supports Manual White Balance (some allow access on the Sony's some do not), and if not go with daylight balance, usually does well compared to auto, though if there is good light auto can do nicely.

As to manual white balance, every 10 feet down or so give or take due to changes in color at depth. But again, alot can be corrected in post production if needed. Manual White Balance is real nice to have, but you can accomomplish alot of what you are doing (making DVDs for family that will look good) with no MWB and no lights. I used to use a Hi8 digital and have an earlier HDV camera than you are looking at, and was big step up.

Shooting with the sun behind you towards the subject is good and also shooting slightly up to a subject, but of course the critters do not always cooperate so sometimes you may just have to shoot anyway.

As to being outdated, well the general rule is when I buy something the next day it is outdated :) Do not be too concerned with outdated or not - get the best thing you can get right now based on budget and other concerns, enjoy it. Look at the cameras I mentioned (all seem to be the size/price zone) and also take a look at the new JVCs. Chances are that big new things will not be until the end of the year.

Looking forward to seeing the video :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom