Do I need another VIP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a new 30 and had it shipped to me. Got it home, looked inside, slapped a sticker on, and hooked up the trans-fill whip. Ambient air -unless you live in the rain forest is not going to be that big of a deal. I would not let one sit around in the garage where temps could change drastically and form condensation. But in that case you can always blast some dry air in and blow it out.

Is moisture from ambient air a factor? If so, how long would it need to be exposed to atmospheric air before this was a consideration?
Air isn't really a problem. Damp and/or salty air might be.

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you over the internet. Take a look inside with a flashlight. If it's not contaminated or rusty, it's probably OK.

Air isn't really a problem. Damp and/or salty air might be.

Until I became landlocked last month, I never realized there was a different kind :wink:

For future use, if you plan on doing this, get a male 3/4" PVC plug from a hardware store, put the o ring off of the old valve on it and screw it in if it is going to sit around more than a few hours. I do his with both alum and steel tanks and haven't had any issues with flash rust like I use to.

With your aluminum tanks, have a peek inside and see. Just as long as you aren't using it for partial pressure O2 fills you will be fine.
And like what others have said, a transfill whip will go a ling way.

Scott

Or just stick a piece of danged tape over the opening if your cylinder will be valveless for a while and you are worried about it....Next time. Just be sure to drain slowly and let warm back up to room temperature before removing the valve. Then immediately apply the tape upon having removed the valve. Should be no chance of problems whatsoever unless there was a problem to begin with.....Next time.

For future use, if you plan on doing this, get a male 3/4" PVC plug from a hardware store, put the o ring off of the old valve on it and screw it in if it is going to sit around more than a few hours. I do his with both alum and steel tanks and haven't had any issues with flash rust like I use to.

With your aluminum tanks, have a peek inside and see. Just as long as you aren't using it for partial pressure O2 fills you will be fine.
And like what others have said, a transfill whip will go a ling way.

Scott

That will work except for the O ring part, the tank has straight threads and the plug is taper thread so it will not screw in far enough to get to the O ring but it will work just as well without the O ring.

Back
Top Bottom