Do I need sliding D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My XDeep Tec sidemount rig arrived and I don't know if I like the rubber "sliding" D rings it came with. I can't get them to slide at all. These things seem to be firm in place. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
My first question: I plan to dive LP85 steel exclusively. Do I even need sliding D rings?
In case I do need sliding D rings, should I replace the standard rubber ones with the steel sliding ones? Are those better?

Thanks!

My XDeep Tec sidemount rig arrived and I don't know if I like the rubber "sliding" D rings it came with. I can't get them to slide at all. These things seem to be firm in place. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
My first question: I plan to dive LP85 steel exclusively. Do I even need sliding D rings?
In case I do need sliding D rings, should I replace the standard rubber ones with the steel sliding ones? Are those better?

Thanks!
1. No.
2. No.
3. No.

It will be easier in the water to move the d-rings, but you'll only need them if you're using AL tanks...

Alternatively have 2 D-rings if diving with ali80s: the high one for when it's full, and the lower one for when it's getting floaty and you pull it down. It's kind of one or the other. When it floats, unclip from the top (i.e. close to your back) and clip on the lower D-ring (i.e. closer to your front)

I put some of sump uk’s sliding d rings on my xdeep and now i can use them with steel or ali of any size.

Hello,

Give yourself a little bit time to get accustomed. I have the sliding rubber d-rings on my xdeep. Practice a little bit, sliding them will become easier with more practice. It is necessary that the rubber d-rings need some effort to move them, otherwise they would slide when you do not want then to slide.

If you do not like them, switch to a different type of sliding d-ring or use two fixed d-rings on each side.

Best wishes Jens

i never liked the rubber rings either.

i guess using a better steel sliding ring option saves some real estate on the waist, but using fixed drings is fine for most people i would think.

i have never used the lp 85's. if they are always negative then you only need one pair of drings. if they do get floaty (someone above mentioned they do) then it is pretty easy to find the right spot for the second set to move the clip to when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom