Do I need sliding D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technically, you don’t “need” them. They are definitely nice to have with Al80’s, because of their buoyancy changes. But, depending on how much of a stickler you are on cylinder position, even with Al80’s, you can get away with having 2 fixed D’s on each side (4 total).

As for LP85’s (my all time favorite to dive SM with), you can definitely use 2 fixed, for sure. But I wouldn’t go with 1 D-ring, because they start getting sloppy around 1,200-1,500 psi (82-103 Bar).

Some divers really like those rubber rings, so you might consider giving them a chance.
Personally, I use Sump-UK’s sliding D’s (Piranha Dive Mfg. makes a knock-off), but have my eye on Audrey Caudel’s “sideslides nano set” sliding D’s.

Reactions: L13
After a couple of pool sessions with the LP85s I agree with what many of you wrote; I don't need sliding D rings. The tanks remain perfectly parallel with just using my drop rings. Even at 800 psi.
I've removed the rubber 'sliding' D rings that came with the xDeep bcd. The low profile triangular fixed D-rings I will keep on towards the back of my waste band just in case I notice that clipping my tanks on there when they're very empty would help.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom