Do I really need a car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AB is a first class operation. Very efficient. Prices are competitive. I suspect you will get a fairly new vehicle paying for "deluxe".

I didn't bother with one when I stayed at the Carib Inn. Did most of my dives by boat (being an old geezer, I liked not having to do shore dives except at night on the house reef or with others who had trucks). Was able to walk to several different grocery stores to get the food I needed. Your mileage may vary.

AB's terms include picking me-up at the airport on arrival and dropping me to Blachi Koko and return transfer a week later. I am supposed to pick-up the vehicle on the morning after arrival; for the car, they quoted a deposit of $75 (which I paid) and a total fee (adjusted to the deposit and including "their CDW insurance") is $424 for 6 days rental. I expect it will be the same when it is changed to a truck.

My own UK Car Insurance extends the comprehensive cover to most countries (Bonaire included) upon request and at a very nominal top-up.

Does this sound reasonable or am I being ripped off?

I think $424/week is too high considering AB's advertised base rental rate. Using the info on AB's website I think their quote should be something like this:

$32.00/day rental rate
$11.00/day CDW (or $19/day if you want incremental coverage for theft, damage by others, and Acts of God)
$4.00/day rental car tax
$2.58/day 6% sales tax (on rental + CDW)
-----------------------------------------------
$49.59/day total "all-in", or $347.06/week

For comparison we paid $335/week all-in at Telerin last June, and Easy One Rent advertises $328/week all-in for their low season rate.

Companies like Total and Budget that operate out of facilities at the airport charge an incremental 5% to 6% "airport concession fee". AB operates off-site so I wouldn't expect to pay this fee, but their webpage does mention something cryptic called "local fee". I've never heard of that one before.

Be aware that AB policy doesn't permit you to decline their CDW. If you wish to use your UK coverage instead of the rental CDW you'll have to find one of the rental companies that permits declining their CDW. If so, you'll be expected to pay for any rental car damage immediately and seek reimbursement from your UK insurance on your own later.

You pay with the credit card that covers the CDW and go about your diving.... They bill your card and your card does not bill you... CDW is a ripoff...

Jim...

Just to add.... Remember to really go over the rental looking and writing down all things wrong ... Save you getting stuck with a bill for damage you didn't cause...

Hintermann,

I just checked the math too, and something does seem high with your quote. I figured about $381 for 6 days with full insurance, I don't know what the "local fee" is. I don't remember that. Doesn't hurt to email them and ask for a breakdown.

I paid $528.90 for two weeks of truck rental in September at budget.... Same price for our February trip..

You pay with the credit card that covers the CDW and go about your diving.... They bill your card and your card does not bill you... CDW is a ripoff...

Easy to say, but not always so easy to do.

You're right about paying with "the credit card that covers the CDW", as there's only one USA credit card that covers pickups trucks on Bonaire. That card is an American Express card enrolled in the optional Premium Car Rental Protection program for $24.95 per rental period up to 42 days. (If you know of another card that covers pickups trucks on Boanire I'd like to see the coverage details.) Only a few rental companies on the island accept Amex, and fewer still accept Amex and permit declining their CDW coverage. But this may be moot in this particular discussion. The OP is from the UK and neither of us know if any of his credit cards cover pickups on Bonaire or if that coverage is affordable and sufficient.

But I'm curious how you convinced Budget to let you decline their CDW coverage? It's mandatory according to their terms and conditions, and the price is baked into their rates. Also, the rates you mentioned above don't appear to reflect $14/day savings due to declining CDW.

Considering the variety of Interesting Things that can and does happen to rental vehicles on Bonaire I don't think CDW is a "ripoff". It's also not surprising or suspect that rental companies want to keep their fleets operational and in continuous service without incurring repair expenses for damages caused by renters. There's no reason they should wait patiently, at the expense of their businesses, for renter's 3rd-party off-island insurance policies to approve claims and (hopefully) send reimbursement. Some companies just got tired of negotiating, waiting, and chasing claims months after the tourist damaged the vehicle and left the island. So they decided that CDW would be mandatory and everyone would be protected, even if at additional expense.

Sure you can decline CDW... if you're working with a rental company that permits it... but then you're directly and immediately responsible for any damages up to the full replacement cost of the vehicle. The rental companies aren't obliged or motivated to deal with your insurance provider. That's up to you to do later, whether with your credit card company or not.

My visa card from my credit union covers the CDW..

And " most " things broken on the rental trucks / cars are small and are never fixed.. Cracked tail lights , small dents , missing moldings are just a few of the stuff I find on rentals.... But you know they charged top dollar for it...

You are right about insurance companies not always wanting to pay... But, it all comes down to the company.. My auto insurance covers me also.... It's all up to the adjuster you get... How many claims you have had....

Jim...

Last edited:
My visa card from my credit union covers the CDW..

Jim...

No offense, but I don't believe this until I see the terms, conditions, and limitations of coverage. I've been researching this topic for several years and have yet to find or hear of a Visa card that covers pickup trucks, let alone in foreign countries like Bonaire. This topic has been discussed here and in other internet forums, and similar claims have been made, but nobody has been able to produce documentation that proves their claims.

Here are a couple of coverage limitation examples from two popular Visa cards that are popular among travelers:

Capital One's Venture Visa rental coverage terms state "Excluded worldwide are: expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles; certain vans; vehicles that have an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds, and motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles."

Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa coverage terms states "Excluded worldwide are: expensive, exotic, and antique automobiles; certain vans; vehicles that have an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles, mopeds, and motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles."

Additionally, according to the rental car insurance coverage comparison chart posted at CreditCards.com, pickup trucks aren't covered by Visa, MasterCard, Discover or Diner's Club cards. So please share more information about your card if your certain it covers rental trucks.

I'm also still interested if and how you convinced Budget to waive CDW requirement. What's the scoop?

Just checked my budget rental for February... Total price one week plus 5 days... Taxes and airport fee included is $509.41....

When I get back home on Friday I'll see what I can dig up... But its a credit Union card.... I was told I was covered and they gave me a copy of the members benefit of the card...

Jim..

You are right about insurance companies not always wanting to pay... But, it all comes down to the company.. My auto insurance covers me also.... It's all up to the adjuster you get... How many claims you have had....
Jim...

I asked my insurance broker about this previously. His firm represents several mainstream insurance companies such as Safeco, The Hartford, Progressive, and 10 others that are somewhat lesser known. He told me that general USA automobile insurance policies don't cover car rentals in foreign countries. The exception is that some policies include clauses that cover certain rental situations in Canada and/or Mexico.

So I can't help but wonder how is it that your policy is different? I'm not trying to be confrontational but your claims are unsupported (so far) and go against everything else I've made a significant effort to learn about. I'd appreciate some supporting information, like an image of the policy terms or the name and policy structure or coverage level of the insurance company.

Back
Top Bottom