Do sea anemone live off Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago.

I have done some diving in various parts of Florida, but not a whole lot. I was diving in the Fort Lauderdale area with some people I met via ScubaBoard. I had just recently been to Thailand where I had done a whole lot of diving. On one of our dives, one of the people I was diving with pointed with some excitement at part of the wreck we were exploring. (It was not the Sea Emperor, which I have been on several times.) I looked to see what she was so excited about, but all I could see was a little straggly anemone.

Back on the boat, I asked her what she was pointing at, and it turned out to be the anemone. Having just seen a few thousand gloriously beautiful anemones in Thailand, I had not realized what a treasure it was in Florida.

This was one of my first realizations of a law of scuba that I have not yet defined fully. Basically, we get excited to see something that is rare in the area in which we are currently diving, even though it may be commonplace in other sites we have dived. When I was in the Galapagos, I saw (no exaggeration) perhaps 1,500 hammerhead sharks, and it got to the point that I wanted a school of hammerheads to get out of the way so I could see something else. Take me on a dive almost anywhere else and seeing one hammerhead will be the highlight of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom