Do ya like shark fin soup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
If you want to see sharks in their habitat, ya better get on the stick before they are gone. Take note of the 5th paragraph from the bottom.... 64,700 lbs. of just fins!! That's a helluva lotta sharks that can no longer swim....and that was only one "fishing" vessel!..and discovered in waters 350 miles off the coast of Mexico...no wonder I've never seen a shark in Cozumel...Damn it all! I wish they would stop this crap!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...e=15&u=/ap/20030519/ap_on_re_as/shark_finning

:upset:

I have seen stories about this before, and seen clips on the Discovery channel. They just cut off the fins and throw the sharks back in to die, very cruel.

It's not illegal to serve shark fin soup but it should be. Lots of restaurants openly advertise it. I've been at restaurants with Asian divers who eat shark lots of times. I tell them that one more shark on their plate means one less for us to see in the ocean but I always get strange looks. These are university educated people but it's so ingrained in their culture that they just don't get it. Maybe they just don't care.

I may get rapped in the mouth for this, but...is anyone really surprised? These are the same nations that still hunt whales, eats sea urchins and octopus.

I like everthing about Asian cultures except their marine habits.

That is disgusting. I like shark, but I like to see them swimming around me in the ocean even more. If they must kill that many, for goodness sakes keep the entire body and use it as well! :(

Some estimates that I have read put the numbers around 100 million sharks a year. That's over a quarter of a million a day. Abso-figgin-lutely pathetic. :(

-Frank

I have actually had shark fin soup, circa 1973, when it was still a novelty to us visitors to the far east. It's about like a very weak chicken broth - I thought "people pay for this?"
At that time I had no idea anyone would be foolish enough to throw away the meat to make a tasteless worthless watery ripoff...
I'm still tryin' to figure out whether it is I, or today's purchaser of the stuff who is ignorant.
Rick

when i was a kid, the whole shark is consumed - the ocean is our source for protein and anything taken is pretty much eaten. the wet market would have the whole shark for sale, sold by the 'kati' (a unit of measure equal to 1lb 4 oz i think)

then i saw an article in college on how 'taking only choice bits' from a fish is pretty much how the fins are harvested. made me sick :(.

we buy whole fish nowadays. and avoid shark-fin serving establishments (which means no fancy restaurants).

can someone tell me about sea urchin ? isn't the whole urchin (sans the hard bits) consumed ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom