Do you check tanks for pressure and contents before you leave the shop?

Do you check the pressure and contents before leaving the shop?

• I always check the pressure before leaving

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I trust the shop to fill and take their word for it

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I sometimes check

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • I check contents if it's a mix but not pressure

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I always check contents and pressure when diving a mix

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I always check contents and pressure when diving air or a mix

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always. Always. Always. Always. And I repeat: Always. Analyze, then stick a label on your tank with the analysis. What dive shop would not require that?

You mean to tell me that everyone here Analyzes air...NOT EANS...but good old 21%air?

I find that hard to swallow.

bwerb once bubbled...

I saw his tanks right after filling read 3000 psi. Next morning they read 2800 psi and 2750 psi.

I've only used nitrox a little, but with air a drop of 200 psi or so is normal. If the tank got warm when filling it will increase the pressure, then when it cools the pressure drops. I pride myself in exact 3000 psi when the tanks are cool, but some other people don't care and let it get hot.

bwerb once bubbled...

I saw his tanks right after filling read 3000 psi. Next morning they read 2800 psi and 2750 psi.

NetDoc...why is gas "hot" coming from an O2 tank? Would you recommend waiting a certain time before testing them? How long would you end-up taking to be sure you had the right proportions and pressure in your tank? Again...I'm totally serious!

The gas is hot because it's been compressed, it has nothing to do with an O2 tank.

You would have to wait a number of hours to have a fully stabilized air temp, then it would change as soon as you went outside or got in the water. Just make sure the fill is what you want when you get it. Recheck the pressure and Po2 before you dive, and don't worry about it.

MD

Dectek once bubbled...
You mean to tell me that everyone here Analyzes air...NOT EANS...but good old 21%air?

Ahh, but how do you KNOW its 21%.
If the air is hard to swallow, it probably has oil in it.

MD

at the request of dabigcat, who has their PM turned off, so I can't tell them that I honored their request off-thread. :tease:

PM was off because I updated my email address and did reactive or recertify???!!!?? Once I thank you for the additions

compression. The O2 had nothing to do with it. I never pick up or analyse a hot mix... I plan ahead to avoid that. I don't have to "worry about it" as I don't let the temperature be a variable. IF the air tank you are using as a cal gas were to be the same temp, then there would be no issue. Many divers go so far as to not even use a compressed air cylinder to calibrate but rely on the unit to calibrate to atmospheric air. That's their choice... I take my diving seriously enough to do it correctly. :tease:

Dectek once bubbled...

No, you big silly, just mixes. :eek:ut:

Dectek once bubbled...

Actually this exact topic came up last weekend at our DIR-F class and the answer given was - "no, but they sure should." Bottom line, if YOU are going to dive a tank, YOU are responsible for knowing what's; in it and you simply can't if you don't analyze it. It's that simple really.

Real world, lot of people don't, but that doesn't change what's best. For me, I'm now a believer and as soon as I can I'm getting my own analyzer and in the near future, EVERY tank I breathe, mix or not, I'll be analyzing.

~<//><

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom