do you connect the chest strap on bcd? (when using drysuit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Balance BC and just completed my checkout dives with a new DUI 50/50 suit. I have the same problem with the sternum strap interfering with the suit inflater valve. I dove without the strap, but I didn't like the way it felt.

The problem is that I usually dive with 20lbs in my 7mm wetsuit. With the drysuit I had to bump that to 30lbs. With the extra weight and without the chest strap, I found that the BC shoulder harnesses rode too far out on my shoulders for it to be comfortable. Also I like having both the waist and sternum straps snug during the dive so the BC moves with my body. Without the sterum strap, it felt a little floppy.

The Balance doesn't allow the sternum strap to be moved up or down, so my solution is going to be to sew on another strap above or below the existing one.

that's what i was thinking, but i hate to mess with my balance bc for the strap... i don't think the strap would push hard enough to depress the valve, but i too feel like i need it snug for the bc to fit appropriately...

thusly, that why i posed this question... will experiment with it this weekend and see what else i can figure out...

--c

i think i figured it out... leave the sternum strap unbuckled and use this.... (between the d-rings)...

it still has a quick release by just pulling the strap from one side to the other and it is about 4 inches higher... hmmmm? shouldn't get in the way, either....

will try it this weekend... (the item is a strap down tie with a pull through buckle.... i can make you one for $49.95.... or you can buy one at wal-mart for 99 cents)

strap2.jpg

strap3.jpg

--c

That looks like a good compromise. I will give it a try, but I will use quick disconnects. They are much easier to get out of if the need arises, such as when removing gear to climb into a small boat.

you can get those quick connectors everywhere! i think i'll go look for some, too...

--c

hmmmmm? i have the balance bc... no cumberbun... if i don't use the chest strap, the shoulders drift apart...

Walter:
There's no reason to ever use the chest strap on a BC.

My shoulder straps end up on my biceps if I don't, it's quite annoying, we've discussed that before though. Even my bra straps could use a chest strap to keep them from slipping off my shoulders.
Ber :lilbunny:

The chest strap on my DiveRite Transpac II used to sit right on top of my DS inflator, so I stopped connecting it. Realizing that that strap was more of a hinderance than a help was one of the many factors that eventually convinced me to go with a Hogarthian setup instead. Since there is no chest strap, there is now no chest strap in my way.

The quick release strap you rigged should solve the problem for your BC, but I wonder if a BC you need to work around is the best choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom