Do you consider yourself an 'Advanced' diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
A thread in another forum got me thinking, a dangerous thing for sure :wink:.

Do you consider yourself to be an Advanced diver, and if so, why?

And no, I'm not asking if you've got a card that says Advanced on it as most people, I would hope, would agree that a little piece of plastic isn't a good indicator of diving ability and we really don't need another thread about how poor AOW course are.

Whether your answer is yes or no, would you mind listing some reasons?
For example, is it number of dives (total / per year)? Depth reached? Skills exhibited? Diving environment? Buddies you dive with?

Thanks for your responses. :14:

Bjorn

I have that schpiffy advanced card.

I don't dive a whole lot each year, maybe 10-20 times. Usually don't dive very deep. I've been below 100 feet several times, but 10-60 feet is the norm.

Total dives? Somewhere around 100. About 70% of those in cold water (Alaska or Oregon), the other 30% in Hawaii.

I was certified (Open Water, Advanced Open Water) in Valdez, Alaska during the winter. More challenging dive environment than a resort certification, and I think that's impacted my dive skills substantially.

I wouldn't call myself advanced, but I'm comfortable saying I'm a competent diver within recreational limits.

-Brandon.

Advanced? Hah! Toehold on beginner status, maybe . . .

Lots and lots to learn yet, skills to develop and improve.

TSandM:
Advanced? Hah! Toehold on beginner status, maybe . . .

Lots and lots to learn yet, skills to develop and improve.

TSandM: With a 'provisional', I'd hope you're beyond a "Toehold on beginner status" :)

When PADI developed their Avdanced class back in the early 80's I was attending an instructors seminar where some of the participants challenged a 5 dive "advanced" course. The reply was very simple, {look up the word advanced and read it's meaning. (my Randon House college dictionary says "beyond basic") Then look up the word expert. We are not trying to make expert divers at this level}. A lot of people try to make the word advanced fit into the expert defination. I myself tend to do this.

Using the beyond basic defination then it would be safe to say that some dive students who got a little extra from their class would be considered advance when compaired to others.

Where I use to teach the local lake had a thermocline at 27 feet. Below that depth hood booties and gloves were required as the water temp dropped to the mid 50's. When I quit teaching I was the only instructor who taught my students with these items and they were the only ones to go below the thermocline in a class. I never dreamed of telling them that they were advanced but compaired to the other divers they were. If for no other reason because they got to see first hand the increased air consumption that comes with depth. An they got to do ascents form depth where BCD management becomes more crucial.

In my opinion the number of dives a person has can be trumped by someone who has increased their knowledge and their skills (air management, trim, anti silting, etc) to a level noticeably better that the average diver.

jeckyll:
A thread in another forum got me thinking, a dangerous thing for sure :wink:.

Do you consider yourself to be an Advanced diver, and if so, why?

And no, I'm not asking if you've got a card that says Advanced on it as most people, I would hope, would agree that a little piece of plastic isn't a good indicator of diving ability and we really don't need another thread about how poor AOW course are.

Whether your answer is yes or no, would you mind listing some reasons?
For example, is it number of dives (total / per year)? Depth reached? Skills exhibited? Diving environment? Buddies you dive with?

Thanks for your responses. :14:

Bjorn

Nope, still learning. I was first certified in 1971. I've taken a number of classes from various training agencies, and some very good instructors. I've logged a fair amount of hours, some years with 130+ dives, lately with 20-30 dives per annum. I like diving with instructors and locals and learn something on every dive. I do not think I will ever be "advanced";just a student.

icantdive55: Ok, so staying away from the course comments (as it's been done .. again and again). If I'm reading your comments correctly, you are saying that you were teaching people to use a hood, gloves and how to use the BCD correctly in ascents in an advanced class???

BTW, I completely agree with your last paragraph.

Bjorn

advanced recreational diver....experience, number of dives...especially TRAINING...reference library, product familiarity, problem solving,...number of years diving, previous aquatic training...however I would never consider myself as a professional or say that I am beyond learning ALL THE INFORMATION that I DON`T know now ...the stuff that PROFESSIONAL forget , is probably more than I know now....LOL see ya` under

jeckyll:
icantdive55: Ok, so staying away from the course comments (as it's been done .. again and again). If I'm reading your comments correctly, you are saying that you were teaching people to use a hood, gloves and how to use the BCD correctly in ascents in an advanced class???

BTW, I completely agree with your last paragraph.

Bjorn

No, sorry for the confusion. I was teaching O/W they were teaching O/W. But by the purist defination of "advanced" some might say my students were advanced. Again I would never dream of calling them advanced but they absolutely had more skills and abilities than the students from the other classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom