Do you dive NEGATIVE without ditchable weight? As in "0" ditchable weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in a Viking dry suit.

When I dive a single aluminum tank, I dive with 24 lbs of ditchable weight, on my weight belt.

My faber stell twin 98's are 12 lbs negative, so I only use a 12 lb weight belt. My cannister is 6 lb negative, so with it I'd only have 6 or 18 lbs ditchable weight. The cannister can be ditched as well if need be.

Mike D

BlueDolphin once bubbled...
I guess what I am trying to find out.... is how many of you dive with VERY little or NO ditchable weight. As in without a weight belt.

I am trying to see if it would be generally ok for me to dive with no weight belt..... (start my dive at 4-10lbs. negative), with a steel tank.... and end my dive at approx. 2-6lbs negative (with tank at approx 500 lbs.). Is that too negative to dive with no ditchable weight? Can most divers safely swim up 2-6lbs. ("uninjured"-good fit diver)?

Or better to go with an AL tank (make equipment modifications), and have some ditchable weight.

I currently have an AL BP, S/S STA, 7mm suit, Steel HP120 tank,
and I am down to very little ditchable weight. If I go with a S/S BP, I will be negative for certain throughout the dive with "0" ditchable weight (on a weightbelt). I would then consider using an AL 80 tank instead, if need be. But looking to see if diving negative throughout the dive without any weight belt (ditchable weight), is ok, common, or otherwise considered somewhat safe as long as you can SWIM IT UP.

Thanks again for your input.

My only concern would be that in diving wet, if you're starting out 10lbs negative, at depth you would loose the bouyancy characteristics of your wetsuit. I'm not sure steel tanks are the best option here. If you were to change to a drysuit, steel would be okay.

Just read Jamie's previous post- NEVER MIND!

The short answer is that you should always have 2 ways of being bouyant enough to reach the surface, without swimming up a rig.

One of those ways can be with a weight belt, another can be with a drysuit.

Hence the normal prohibition on "wet steel" (diving a steel cylinder in a wetsuit) - unless you have a lift bag or extra BC, there's not much chance of you getting the rig to the surface.

There's nothing wrong, btw, with "very little" ditchable weight. That is a worthy goal to achieve, but you should still be able to, at depth, drop your weight and be at least neutrally bouyant.

This is what both my training AND my common sense have pounded into me. There are plenty of people who dive wet steel and think they have no problem with it (although I remember reading the post of at least ONE convert after trying to swim up his rig).

sorry to preach,
jeff

BlueDolphin once bubbled...
I guess what I am trying to find out.... is how many of you dive with VERY little or NO ditchable weight. As in without a weight belt.

I am trying to see if it would be generally ok for me to dive with no weight belt..... (start my dive at 4-10lbs. negative), with a steel tank.... and end my dive at approx. 2-6lbs negative (with tank at approx 500 lbs.). Is that too negative to dive with no ditchable weight? Can most divers safely swim up 2-6lbs. ("uninjured"-good fit diver)?

Or better to go with an AL tank (make equipment modifications), and have some ditchable weight.

I currently have an AL BP, S/S STA, 7mm suit, Steel HP120 tank,
and I am down to very little ditchable weight. If I go with a S/S BP, I will be negative for certain throughout the dive with "0" ditchable weight (on a weightbelt). I would then consider using an AL 80 tank instead, if need be. But looking to see if diving negative throughout the dive without any weight belt (ditchable weight), is ok, common, or otherwise considered somewhat safe as long as you can SWIM IT UP.

Thanks again for your input.

If I'm diving doubles I have no ditchable weight unless you figure reels, lights, and stages. There's no sence in humping lead if you can use other stuff as weight. I don't like weight around my waist, takes up room and limits movement...
As for singles, I do have a Ziegal Ranger I use for the winter and modest dive jobs where I don't need to carry much. The weight pockets are handy, however I also have a pouch at the back of my 120, useing both bands, that I carry 8 lbs in for trim purposes that isn't ditchable, by me any way!
I realize they say your weight should be dumpable. I always carry a lift bag, 100 lbs. and at least 1 reel, as well as extra air. I figure before I leave any gear, I'll launch that to lift me or climb up. Plan for the worst! It's better to have it than wish you had it..........

I try to be neutral at 10 ft with 500 lbs left in what ever tanks I'm wearing. The only exception would be winter diving when I want to have more air in my suit for warmth. That obviously means more weight, and I feel the difference. More lathargic and less streamlined. I carry an extra 6 lbs then. Fortunately there's less gear. When I'm diving doubles I want to achieve the same 10 ft standard above. There's nothing worse than fighting to stay down during a free ascent. At that point, when your air is lower, you have deco to pay, breathing like a Freight Train is not recomended and only adds to your buoyancy problems. Take the time to figure this out before you find your self in this situation...........Your depth for being neutral, negative, or what ever should be in the 5-15 ft range as saftey stops and deco goes!

I use 7kg lead plate on the back. Non detachable and I'm slightly negative at the end of the dive. Works OK till something is wrong.

When I'm visiting Florida to cave dive the cylinders I borrow are so damn heavy that I don't wear any ditchable weights at all. I don't use a BC either (its a British sump diver thing) and use my drysuit for trim control. Sump diving in the UK we don't always have lead and if we do we don't use quick release belts as you'd only be stuck up against the cave roof. At least you can generally crawl out along the floor.

Duncan

Duncan,
Do you back nount at all or strictly sidemount?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom