Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A snorkel "is a standard piece of scuba gear"--PADI OW manual 2005.

Do I have a snorkel? Yes, I have one on every dive. A folding one in my BC Pocket. I haven't used it since my last OW training dive though.

I use a snorkle on the surface while shore diving (duh...) I hate using up my tank air on the way out, but I'll use the second stage on the way back to shore in case I see something and want to follow it.
Richard hasn't used a snorkle while diving since 2005. Just one more thing to get tangled with the dive flag line.

I'm coming up on 15,000 dives and I've had a snorkel with me on every dive except when I was in saturation. Oh, btw: I used that snorkel, in a minor or major way on every dive that I carried it. Does that mean that you are unsafe without it? No. A lot of people substitute carrying more gas for carrying a snorkel. To my way of thinking gas is to go underwater with.

Depends. (this subject has been covered a few times btw)

The snorkel is a piece of diving equipment like any other. Some items you need ie. tank and reg, but others are not strictly necessary ie. BCD, wetsuit.

So when I do my shore dives which require a 200m surface swim out, I use the snorkel to save air whilst looking around for critters which can be seen from time to time like octopus, mantis shrimp, snake eels, stingrays etc. I'm happy breathing off my tank coming back in.

Drift diving from the boat I don't.
Diving in very strong current I don't.
Penetrating wrecks I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom