Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use one for all the reasons above. Before I started using a long hose I had stopped using one because I found it's tugging on my mask strap was causing my mask to leak.

Mine has been a cumbersome mess AND since the bottom part of the tube is corrugated (much like my inflator hose) I've found myself grabbing the dang snorkel instead of the inflator...I've been looking for alternatives myeslf!

looking forward to more advice!

Never wear one because they solve no problems and introduce all kinds of problems on there own.

Things I have seen or experinced when I used one:
- Grabing it instead of inflator
- Acidently breathing it at depth
- Having it get entangled
- Current taking it and cauzing mask to leak/come off
- Increased stress at surface due to chop pouring water into it

The last time I used my snorkel it was for my OW class, then off my head it came! I also choose to have a pocket snorkel instead, though I've yet to use it.

If you're more comfortable wearing a snorkel while you dive, do so. It's purely a personal preference, and personally I hate having one hang on my head unnecessarily.

Got certified and then never wore mine again. If I did any beach diving I could see the point somewhat. But all of my diving is off a boat and I've yet to be in a situation where I would have needed it. Plus I just find it uncomfortable to have it hanging on the side of my head.

I personaly to not wear a snorkle on my mask. (Last time I did was during my OW class). I keep mine in my bag at all times in case I decide I need it or might need it.

A wise instructor told me, "There is a place and time for a snorkle." You need to determine if you like wearing it. If you do, then just wear it. If you are doing a long surface swim they are nice if you want to swim face down and not use back gas. In rough seas they can help (or hinder depending on who you talk to). Or you can use them to "scout" a dive site before you make your dive.

Buoyant1:
Mine has been a cumbersome mess AND since the bottom part of the tube is corrugated (much like my inflator hose) I've found myself grabbing the dang snorkel instead of the inflator.
It is interesting that the traditional snorkel location is the left side which from a safety standpoint seems irrational (for me kind of like the traditional but irrational location of hand brakes on bicycles; left hand controls front wheel???). Since I usually do surface swims in choppy water I do use one but it has always been on the right side (as is my front wheel hand brake). I wouldn't use one on a boat dive. The collapsible snorkel does seem like a good idea for that "Hey, where'd these waves come from" upon surfacing moment.

i ditched my snorkel soon after i started diving. it was uncomfortable and i found myself always readjusting it during the dive. during a dive i have better things to do than play with a snorkel.. just my .02

I can't believe how many people don't wear a snorkel. I would never dive without my snorkel. As far as I'm concerned, it's a part of my scuba equipment and goes with me on every dive.

As for the following post...

JimC:
Never wear one because they solve no problems and introduce all kinds of problems on there own.

Things I have seen or experinced when I used one:
- Grabing it instead of inflator
I wouldn't dive with a buddy who couldn't tell his snorkel from his inflator.

- Acidently breathing it at depth
That's from not being familiar with your equipment or simple carelessness

- Having it get entangled
If you have it on the left side attached properly, it won't get entangled

- Current taking it and cauzing mask to leak/come off
If it's attached properly- it won't fall off or get flooded when you breath from it

- Increased stress at surface due to chop pouring water into it
Learn how to purge your snorkel. My OW students can do it.

Sorry Jim, but to me, your post makes me think that you haven't got some extreme basics tied down. Whether you use a snorkel or not, the reasons you listed IMHO are pants (irish term for rubbish).

In my 5 years of diving, I have never dived without a snorkel, and in all those dives, my snorkel has never caused me a problem. My students will always wear snorkels. I've needed snorkels for when i'm :

Exiting a boat in tough conditions...
Waiting on the surface in tough conditions...
Duck diving...
Conserving air while surface swimming to a dive site

As always, my $0.02

Scubafreak

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom