Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the current's strong...and it's almost always strong where I dive...the snorkel seems to serve only one purpose: for the current to whip it against my face, slapping me repeatedly....what did I do to deserve being slapped every time I go diving...??? :p

cmgmg:
RJ don't usually wear scuba gear, right? Don't they jump in the water, swim to the victim, etc. ? Can't think of a better example of why a snorkel is needed in this situation. However, like you I don't know of any rescue divers.

I'm not sure about how much scuba they do, I'm much more familiar with the other branches. I also didn't see the whole series, but I did notice some scuba in the intro sequence. Regardless, if it is "essential" for a non-scuba rescue it should be at least useful in scuba in the unlikely event of equipment malfunction. Personally I like the pro-"snorkel to shore and watch the show" argument better than “safety”, but the show reminded me of the debate in this thread. They did a lot of drills simulating choppy seas awaiting rescue with only a snorkel giving you air. The Sergeants would flood them and try to jerk them out of their mouths while they buddy breathed on a snorkel. Buddy breathing a snorkel is a little crazy if you ask me, but I'll be happy to have them come get me any time I'm lost at sea.

Who said: I am proud to say that I never wore a snorkel...?
I've been thinking hard, but for the hell of it, I can't work out, why that would be something to be proud of...

I think there is something going seriously wrong here...
If somebody thinks they do not need a snorkel, hell, I cannot force them to wear one, but if it is a matter of appearance, and 'being proud', I think these people have problems!

Bohne:
Who said: I am proud to say that I never wore a snorkel...?
I've been thinking hard, but for the hell of it, I can't work out, why that would be something to be proud of...

I think there is something going seriously wrong here...
If somebody thinks they do not need a snorkel, hell, I cannot force them to wear one, but if it is a matter of appearance, and 'being proud', I think these people have problems!

Well why not? For most people, in most conditions, a snorkel is worse than useless. Streamlining your dive gear and getting rid of things that get in the way, cause entanglements hazards, have no useful function underwater, and very little useful function above water, is a worthy goal to be pursued.

Now if you want to go snorkeling by all means take that snorkel, but I would rather go for a dive.

With all the pros and cons, can anyone recommend a folding snorkel (as a compromise?). Is there another thread on this?

I wear mine when teaching and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom