Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A funny thing happened to me the other day...I was preparing for a night dive and someone on the boat -- not anyone I knew -- made the comment (in a tone that was not jokingly) that I must be an inexperienced diver as I still used a snorkel. The captain (a very experienced diver and dive boat captain) and I laughed about it later. But, I admit that it seemed a little rude especially since the person knew nothing about me. I've been diving twelve years, plus I'm a fulltime instructor.

I don't believe that a person needs to wear a snorkel for all occasions; however, just like you dress appropriately in real life, like a tuxedo/dress for a formal event or jeans to the movies, you should "dress" appropriately for your type of dive.

As someone with divemaster/mate experience in Key Largo, I've seen the appropriateness for wearing a snorkel on the type of dives we have here. First, we use a mooring system: the boat stays in one place so the divers need to make their way back to the boat. I have seen a few (actually a bit more than a few) divers run low on air and attempt to swim back to the boat on the surface in waves. They waste was little energy they have -- as they typically are down current -- trying to swim with their heads above water. If they flip over on their backs, they can't see where they are going so they typically cover more distance then they need; plus most of them lose ground when they pause to rollover and look for the boat again. They remind me of goldfish or bettas gulping air. Second, on our advanced dives, such as the Spiegel Grove, the snorkel is a great tool. The diver doesn't waste any air in their tanks as they are fighting the current on the wreck line going to the descent line.

What I've noticed with a lot of people would don't use snorkels is that there is a group of them who are uncomfortable with using them. They haven't learned proper airway control or how to clear the snorkel properly. Yet they'll make up excuses instead of getting experience and training.

I don't believe that snorkels are necessary in all situations, or that you need to wear it (you can put it in your pocket as long as you know how to put it on without taking your mask off); however, I have a lot of respect for people who do use them...especially in dive situations similar to ours in Key Largo.

Tori

sinkorswim:
Sorry to disagree. If that were true, it would be a required piece of equipment. That's like saying a BC is a life jacket. It can be used for one but that is not it's intended purpose, and being someone who dives for the NOAA and went through the NOAA course; you of all people should remember they teach you that a snorkel creates additional dead gas space which detracts from your lung capacity to get full breaths of fresh air increasing CO2 build up.

Your not on the CTD team are you?

Man-oh-man. NOAA training is not the point here. We're talking about rec diving (and ABQ's probably representing NAUI in that situation).

BigboyDan:
He's an instrutor; who adivses that there are classes that you can take so that you may learn the proper use of a snorkel. Go for it.

I dont give a toss if he's the President of the World Diving Federation. I may not be an Instructor but one hardly needs to be an instructor to know how to use a snorkel or not.
The only classes I know of dedicated to snorkels is a snorkelling class and I learnt to snorkel before I could walk.
If ABQ cant explain to me the PROPER use and actual circumstances where a snorkel is absolutely neccessary in Scuba, then he should leave this thread and never come back.

I dive with a snorkel because I live and dive (in Puget sound) in Washington State where it's mostly shore diving. It's nice to swim back to shore face down with the snorkel. Sometimes, when the water is clear enough, you can see some beautiful sealife as you approach the shore. And I was REALLY glad to have it one day when, after my drift dive, a grey whale swam into the narrows. I was able to jump back in the water minus the scuba (it's illegal to scuba with a whale, but snorkelling is OK) with my attached snorkel and had the experience of a lifetime swimming with a whale in the wild! :snorkel:

tsteinme:
A funny thing happened to me the other day...I was preparing for a night dive and someone on the boat --not anyone I knew -- made the comment (in a tone that was not jokingly) that I must be an inexperienced diver as I still used a snorkel. The captain (a very experienced diver and dive boat captain) and I laughed about it later. But, I admit that it seemed a little rude especially since the person knew nothing about me. I've been diving twelve years, plus I'm a fulltime instructor.

I don't believe that a person needs to wear a snorkel for all occasions; however, just like you dress appropriately in real life, like a tuxedo/dress for a formal event or jeans to the movies, you should "dress" appropriately for your type of dive.

As someone with divemaster/mate experience in Key Largo, I've seen the appropriateness for wearing a snorkel on the type of dives we have here. First, we use a mooring system: the boat stays in one place so the divers need to make their way back to the boat. I have seen a few (actually a bit more than a few) divers run low on air and attempt to swim back to the boat on the surface in waves. They waste what little energy they have -- as they typically are down current -- trying to swim with their heads above water. If they flip over on their backs, they can't see where they are going so they typically cover more distance then they need; plus most of them lose ground when they pause to rollover and look for the boat again. They remind me of goldfish or bettas gulping air. Second, on our advanced dives, such as the Spiegel Grove, the snorkel is a great tool. The diver doesn't waste any air in their tanks as they are fighting the current on the wreck line going to the descent line.

What I've noticed with a lot of people who don't use snorkels is that there is a group of them who are uncomfortable with using them. They haven't learned proper airway control or how to clear the snorkel properly. Yet they'll make up excuses instead of getting experience and training.

I don't believe that snorkels are necessary in all situations, or that you need to wear it (you can put it in your pocket as long as you know how to put it on without taking your mask off); however, I have a lot of respect for people who do use them...especially in dive situations similar to ours in Key Largo.

Tori

Tori,

Thank you for sharing your real-life observations with us. The comments make the case quite well.

The rude chap on the boat might have been our boy, Mr. String, since, in his view, stories like yours are "garbage" and are "made up".

Unfortunately for you (and myself, and all of the rest of us) he obviously knows better than all of us put together! According to him we need "re-training".

I know you are stunned to learn this, but...best you should know it now! :lol3:

Rob Davie :doctor:

P.S.---I believe I was on one of your dives to der Spiegel. It was a really great dive! I confess now, publicly, that I was secretly snorking...I had one in a pocket! I hope you will forgive me for this!! :bawling:

Rob

Azza,

Looks to me that you've violated the TOS - I will not talk to you further. Gook luck with your diving.

==========

sinkorswim,

NOAA has specific use guidelines for snorkel use, along with all equipment - as you seem to know. The NOAA Skills Evaluation Dives that I did required snorkel proficiency.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/ChckoutRpt.pdf

All diving that I did/do for NOAA always fell outside rec profiles; have you ever seen the paperwork? Are you NOAA?

ABQ:
Azza,

Looks to me that you've violated the TOS - I will not talk to you further. Gook luck with your diving.

I have been informed by the Mods that I did indeed violate the TOS by posting a "personal attack" on Big Boy. Its my belief that this was not a personal attack rather a counter attack to Big boy on his assumption that I do not have a clue, which I believe should also be a violation of the TOS as this was no different to my assertion of him.
However I respect the Mods decision and will refrain from stooping to Big Boys level in the future.
I apologise if anyone was offended.

ABQ this is rather convienient for you isnt it? Now you do not have to actually have to reply to my question asking for you to describe the proper usage of a snorkel, and actual circumstances in which a snorkel was absolutely necessary.
I didnt think you could anyway...

divinmama:
I dive with a snorkel because I live and dive (in Puget sound) in Washington State where it's mostly shore diving. It's nice to swim back to shore face down with the snorkel. Sometimes, when the water is clear enough, you can see some beautiful sealife as you approach the shore. And I was REALLY glad to have it one day when, after my drift dive, a grey whale swam into the narrows. I was able to jump back in the water minus the scuba (it's illegal to scuba with a whale, but snorkelling is OK) with my attached snorkel and had the experience of a lifetime swimming with a whale in the wild! :snorkel:

What a great story! I am sorry to inform you that according to our Mr. String, it is "garbage", and that you "made it up"! :11:

But it is a beautiful story, and I wish I had been there! :07:

Rob

welll.... he wasn't diving. he was snorkeling. a snorkel is essential for snorkeling.

true, if it had been me, i would have had to borrow a snorkel or do without,
because i don't carry one on dive trips.

in Bonaire, one time i was on a boat and a buch of dolphins came by. a few people jumped over board to snorkel with them, and i did too. i didn't really need the snorkel,
and did fine just holding my head under water. it WOULD have been a lot easier
with a snorkel, though.

actually... i just thought of another use for a snorkel:

snorkeling with manatees in Crystal River. love to do it. scuba scares them, so
snorkeling is best.

I prefer not having it attached, it gets in the way during drift dives. I do however carry a pocket snorkel for those times we're waiting for the dive boat to pick us up.

QUOTE=pilot fish]I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom