Do you feel diving has given you better health?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe diving has better prepared me for death.

The Tibetan Book of the Dead describes many stages of death that can be frightening to the unaware. This fear of letting go into emptiness causes the mind to grasp at form and thus take on another rebirth, shaped by their Karma. In fact, the book was written so that friends or relatives can sit with the dead and read to them, thus helping to guide the deceased on their journey.

I believe diving in low vis conditions and the ageless tomblike silence of lakes helps prepare me for those conditions, which is just as well as I don't think anyone is going to sit with me and recite from a book when I'm gone... unless I pay them - which just seems wrong on several levels.

I've been diving now for 52 years. I find it relaxes me tremendously, seems to reduce my blood pressure (it's fairly low) and gives me great joy... all positive for better health. Almost no one believes I'll be 68 soon. Perhaps the best thing I've done for my health though was to quit smoking 40 years ago. I probably wouldn't be diving today if I hadn't. And, as a marine biologist, diving is part of my work. If I couldn't die, I'd probably be stuck somewhere in an office cubicle and my health would decline.

I see no reason to believe that you can't hang on for a few more months (and make 68)!

Back
Top Bottom