Do you have rhythm with that shake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bs'ing with the instructor and other guy taking the class today and noticed that a couple of the tanks around the shop had these "tank bangers" on them. Pretty much a golf ball with a bunjie chord run through it that hold it on to the tank. stretch, release, and BAAAAANNNGGGGG obnoxiously loud ringing noise perforates everyones ears within the vicinity. While this might be helpful when you're a bit far away from your buddy, or when you lose them, or vis is 0... I can't really see lettin that thing rip just to get someones attention for something unimportant. It is seriously killer loud. Seems like it would just be easier to throw in a few extra kicks and touch the person. But... what the hell do I know.

I bought a rattler thing that makes a metalic rattle sounds. Yeah, it make people look around to see what the heck the noise is. I found it annoying too so I keep it tucked away and never use it.

I learned to use the fist in the hand trick and snapping my fingers. Works fine and isn't as annoying. Also, the butt end of a dive knife on my tank works good.

Edit:
I went with a group to Bonaire and got stuck as the defacto small-group leader. I was the only one who 1) knew what I was doing underwater, and 2) could navigate out, along the reef, and then back to our entry point. I did find the rattler handy to call back that annoying diver who kept swimming away from us. I can understand why some DM/dive guides carry rattlers. She got pretty good at reading my looks: Where the h3ll are you going in such a big a&& hurry??

ce4jesus:
Interesting. My wife and I just started using them and my initial reaction is that we love them but the people around us seemed annoyed. Obviously because when we rattled they all would look to see what's going on.
Well no ****!
In any case, the silent world is anything but. It sounds mostly like a bowl of rice krispies down there during the day. The night usually sounds like the middle of a jungle.
Nonetheless, that's the world I pay the big bucks to experience, not the clatter mongers.

If you can't get your buddy's attention by touching them, well - that's a personal problem.

The two exceptions I might agree on:
> dive group leaders, who use seldom use them, but need to occasionally,
> and really bad viz.

ce4jesus:
I knew that would get your attention! I'm just curious how many of you use underwater communication devices like shakers, quackers, bangers, etc and have you worked out an emergency communication "tone" with your dive buddy.

I poke my buddy in the side, then point at the thing that's interesting or requires attention.

Terry

divedadepths:
If i have to get my buddies attention i just make my left hand a fist and bang it into my right palm.

that's the wrong way; it is the right fist into the left hand:crafty:

i agree it's the "silent world" and i like to keep it that way

Disclaimer:

<-- Total newb (with a question)

Why would you need a noise maker? What would be the benefit?

From what my instructor said (again...note the disclaimer), you should never be that far from your partner that you'd need it and in low vis, he said to use a buddy line.

FireCat:
Disclaimer:

<-- Total newb (with a question)

Why would you need a noise maker? What would be the benefit?

From what my instructor said (again...note the disclaimer), you should never be that far from your partner that you'd need it and in low vis, he said to use a buddy line.
Yep, right on. :thumb:

Now, do I screw up in that area? Yeah, worse since I started shooting pics, but that's right. Sometimes I do have to swim after my bud to get his attention, but not usually, and I do carry my pony - just got the hydro, viz, and reg service back on it today. $$$$$$

I spent last week in Malta diving with two lovely couples, all with quackers, that actually had a signalling system for the things. It is by far the most annoying thing I've ever been exposed to in scuba diving.

I personally think rattlers etc. are fine for guides/dms/instructors on group dives. There's always that clown heading out in the wrong direction and it saves the group a lot of hassle if they can be called back instantly instead of the dm having to chase them around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom