Do You Like Sea Lions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video! It brought to mind my only experience with these beautiful animals, in April 1999 on a liveaboard out of Long beach when we dove the Channel Islands for four days, and had sea lion buddies on nearly every dive. We played bubble blowing games with them, pass the kelp string, and also had some adrenaline rushes when a big male decided that we were too familiar with his harem members, and pretty much chased us of one evening at a place off Santa Barbara, especially when we drifted into the shallower (5 meters ) water. One thing is very clear- it's time to do it again!!
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Oh, Chris, what a WONDERFUL video! It really captures the magic of one of the best dives I've done in my whole life, down to and including doing snap rolls with the scooter, and having the puppies come and "count coup" on the scooter noses when we weren't moving fast enough to keep them entertained.

This is truly one of the apex dives in the world, I think.

Thanks so much! I totally agree, this is one of the most unique, amazing, and FUN dives I've ever done. The site itself is nothing to write home about (mostly sand), but this is really all about these playful, curious, and intelligent creatures. They respond to your energy. Just sit there watching and they'll soon move on. If you flip, twirl, blow bubbles, barrel roll, and generally make a fool of yourself, they'll reciprocate in large numbers.

Usually my favorite dives are the ones that leave me in jaw-gaped wonder. Diving with the sea lions is defined by an entirely different facial expression: huge, mask-flooding smiles.

Reactions: Jax
As with children, I like sea lions grilled with a wasabi sauce.

P.S.
Your video is great!

Anything with that much insulation just can't be tasty. :D Glad you enjoyed the video.

Great video! It brought to mind my only experience with these beautiful animals, in April 1999 on a liveaboard out of Long beach when we dove the Channel Islands for four days, and had sea lion buddies on nearly every dive. We played bubble blowing games with them, pass the kelp string, and also had some adrenaline rushes when a big male decided that we were too familiar with his harem members, and pretty much chased us of one evening at a place off Santa Barbara, especially when we drifted into the shallower (5 meters ) water. One thing is very clear- it's time to do it again!!
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Really appreciate it! Sounds like you also had a great experience with them. It's all about the non-physical interaction. Definitely sounds like it's time for you to make a repeat visit. :)

In addition to doing acrobatics, they can wave. Awesome video!

015_13.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoyed watching your video again. Never encountered one during my dives in CA but because of you videos I cannot wait to meet them. I love how playful they seem in the water, twisting, looping and zooming past your camera.

As always, thank you for posting yet another great video for our enjoyment!!

In addition to doing acrobatics, they can wave. Awesome video!

Great snap!

Wow, what a video. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it; thanks for watching!

Enjoyed watching your video again. Never encountered one during my dives in CA but because of you videos I cannot wait to meet them. I love how playful they seem in the water, twisting, looping and zooming past your camera.

As always, thank you for posting yet another great video for our enjoyment!!

You're too kind, Sam. We often see one, or even a few, at many of the local island sites, but only twice have I been in such a large raft of them. It's really something.

Hey what do you do when you are surface swimming out and there is a large raft of them in your path? We decided to descend and fully expected to get buzzed, but although they might have, we didn't see any.

looks like lots of fun! .... Am I safe in assuming these are primarily female California Sea Lions? They don't seem to have the defined brow of the males that we see in my neck of the woods.

Hey what do you do when you are surface swimming out and there is a large raft of them in your path? We decided to descend and fully expected to get buzzed, but although they might have, we didn't see any.

Lol, scooter right toward them! :)

looks like lots of fun! .... Am I safe in assuming these are primarily female California Sea Lions? They don't seem to have the defined brow of the males that we see in my neck of the woods.

I assumed they were a mix of male and female juveniles. The large males here certainly are a lot bigger than these. Really don't know for sure, though. Hopefully someone can chime in on this issue. Thanks for watching!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom