Do you like your Zeagle BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering the Zeagle LaZer BCD and would like to hear how everyone likes their Zeagle BCDs in general and if you have a Lazer, I would love to hear what you like and dislike about it, especially from the women who have or have had the LaZer.

A little background... All my gear was stolen last year on a return trip to the US (actually stolen from the SAT Airport). I've had to replace everything and I'm happy with almost all my new selections except the BCD I purchased. I bought the Biolite Bioflex and the strap on the back of the BCD was too high on the back plate that I couldn't get it high enough on the tank to keep from hitting my head. Luckily, Scubatoys has a wonderful policy of satisfaction guaranteed and they are allowing me to return it. I love Scubatoys! But, I digress. The Biolite was just uncomfortable, so I'm looking once again and have tentatively landed on the Zeagle LaZer mainly because it looks like one of the lower profile ones, is fairly light/low profile, has pockets, D-rings, cummerbund and is a good brand from what I hear and read. I had the Aeris Reef Rider BCD before and loved it. It was around 6 pounds and the Lazer is 7 lbs. Being lightweight is a top criteria.

Would love to hear your feedback.

I love my Zeagle Stiletto! Low profile, a couple of D rings, ways to add more pockets, weight integrated. Check it out and see what you think.

Reactions: kdl
Sorry but no I didn't love my Zeagle Tech. I dive a HP130 and it was always rolling around on my back, perhaps it's different with a smaller tank. I switched to a BP wing and my tank stays put. However the workmanship was top notch, it just didn't work for me, YMMV.

I'm considering the Zeagle LaZer BCD and would like to hear how everyone likes their Zeagle BCDs in general and if you have a Lazer, I would love to hear what you like and dislike about it, especially from the women who have or have had the LaZer. . . .have tentatively landed on the Zeagle LaZer mainly because it looks like one of the lower profile ones, is fairly light/low profile, has pockets, D-rings, cummerbund and is a good brand from what I hear and read. . . . . Being lightweight is a top criteria.
I am a Zeagle Ranger owner - I can't comment specifically on the LaZer. but in design it is similar to the Ranger, from the perspective of the placement of the integrated weights, the pockets, the D rings, etc. My Ranger was my first BCD, and I still own it 13 years later, although I don't dive it anymore as I moved to a BP/W 8 years ago. The Ranger ios comfortable, and fit snugly enough to allow me to use whatever cylinder I chose. In particular, the Ranger has 2 cam bands instead of one, which (from my perspective) adds to the stability of the rig. I am not sure whether the LaZer has 1 or 2 - I presume only 1.

I don't particularly care for integrated weights in general, and the Zeagles, like most IW BCDs, put the weight in a position that enhances the sensation of being moved face down in the water at the surface, if the diver is a bit over-weighted. Fortunately, the back trim weight pockets allow the diver to overcome that.

Since light weight is a priority, why did you not consider the Express tech? If you are traveling, I presume that is to warm water destinations. Do you really need the 35 lbs of lift in a LaZer, or would the 24lbs in an Express tech be sufficient?

Zeagle products have historically been very durable, and their customer support after the sale has been excellent. I have nothing but the highest praise for Zeagle and for Zeagle products. I have not seen any change in that since the sale to Huish Outdoors

Hi Colliam7,

Thanks for the info.

I had not seen the Express tech because my filter was on Female BCDs. My travels are all warm water, so 24lbs lift should be sufficient. I looked it up just now and it looks interesting. But by the time I add the things I want, I think the weight will end up the same as the Razer which does come in a small and was designed for a woman. I think the Reef Rider I had was Unisex, so I'm not opposed to that, but do need something small.

On another note, I'm very curious about the BP/W since people on this forum seem to favor the setup. I see a lot of people on this site who use them, but I've never run across anyone traveling who uses one, so I've not seen them in action. How do you deal with all your stuff? I carry a camera, a small light in a pocket, a safety sausage in a pocket, a macro lens attached to a d-ring, sometimes gloves in a pocket, etc. I can attach some of that stuff to the rings on the BP/W, but with no pockets, how do you manage? I suppose you wear a separate weight belt and then attach as much as possible to the d-rings and I'm sure there is a way to add pockets, but that seems like a lot of moving separate parts.
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with Linedog that the Tech as sold has far too much lift for single tank divers (60 lb!). I replaced the huge bladder with a Brigade 35# lift bladder and still dive it occasionally. I move the top strap down on the harness to accommodate the lower tank position for double hose regs as well. Zeagle BCDs are very well made, and my experience with their customer service has been top-notch.

I'm also one who primarily dives a backplate and wing. It started when I moved into the tech realm, and I found I really liked the configuration for most of my diving. My current single tank and travel rig is an aluminum BP and 25# Dive Rite wing. As for where I keep things--I'm a big fan of thigh pockets on the exposure suit. I can get my small camera, SMB, slates, and lots of other gear in those. Some people add this feature in the form of neoprene pocket shorts over their suit. My backup lights are clipped to my chest D-rings and bungeed to my harness. I seldom need a weight belt when diving single tank, usually only requiring a few pounds in trim pouches on the upper tank band--only enough to be neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive. If I'm diving a thicker suit and need a few more, I can mount them in XS Scuba quick release pouches on the bottom tank band, where I can still reach back and dump them if needed. I use a weight belt as needed with doubles and a dry suit.

I've had a Zeagle (Zena) BC for 10 years, and after nearly 600 dives, it looks almost as new as the day I got it from ScubaToys! :D:D The front panels are beginning to fade a bit, but the rest of the BC is in excellent condition. VERY durable, super easy to pack for travel, and my Zena only weighs about 5# (I have the 24# wing).

Fit is everything for a BC, so I hope you find the perfect one for you. One thing I love about my Zena is that once I've properly adjusted it on my body, it never moves and my tank is solid on my back. Also, the "mix and match" design of the 4 pieces means everyone can basically have a custom fitted BC.

I had a Zeagle Stiletto and did not like it. I dive HP100 and LP85 and the tank would constantly roll around. After 10 dives with it I switched to a DSS B/W and never looked back.

I loved my Stiletto LTD. I love my Halcyon BP&W a lot more, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom