Do you like your Zeagle BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Stiletto. I use 2-2# weights in the trim pockets and have no problems with the feeling of being thrown forward.

I don't like a weight belt because I cannot get one to stay up, it ends up down around my ankles or worse, even with only another 2X2# on it. The integrated weight system works fine for me and I like the ripcord system better than the weight pockets on other similar BCs. The dual tank bands keep the tank secure. I don't dive a dry suit and don't think I ever will. On a recent trip to the Caymans I think 5 or 6 others used the same BC. It still looks brand new and I haven't had any problems with it, not that there is much to go wrong anyway. Zeagle builds good stuff and to my knowledge stands behind it.

Reactions: kdl
The Tech 10 has 65#'s lift, the Express Tech has 24#. So I think we're discussing two different options previously. You can also optionally get an ET with a 35# wing.

One thing about the Express Tech is that if you add a Ripcord weight system it slightly limits the amount of space available for optional pockets since it kind of wraps around towards the front. You can see an example on the Zeagle website photo - that Express Tech has the Ripcord on it. You could likely still add a Quick Pocket (maybe 2?) to the waist straps. The Zip-Touch is slightly narrower when installed.

Although I'm a Zeagle fanboy (Ranger LTD, (owned a) Stiletto, buying an ET soon) everything you want is on a ScubaPro Ladyhawk also...if you're a size small. They don't make an XS.

There are add-on pockets for BP/W's also that mount to the straps.

Last edited:
The Tech 10 has 65#'s lift, the Express Tech has 24#. So I think we're discussing two different options previously. You can also optionally get an ET with a 35# wing.

One thing about the Express Tech is that if you add a Ripcord weight system it slightly limits the amount of space available for optional pockets since it kind of wraps around towards the front. You can see an example on the Zeagle website photo - that Express Tech has the Ripcord on it. You could likely still add a Quick Pocket (maybe 2?) to the waist straps. The Zip-Touch is slightly narrower when installed.

Although I'm a Zeagle fanboy (Ranger LTD, (owned a) Stiletto, buying an ET soon) everything you want is on a ScubaPro Ladyhawk also...if you're a size small. They don't make an XS.

There are add-on pockets for BP/W's also that mount to the straps.

Hi divesteve,
Thanks for the info. Actually the Ladyhawk was the other one I was investigating but Scubatoys no longers sells Scubapro and since they are doing the exchange for me I have to stay in lines they sell, which has me firmly in the Zeagle camp right now. :)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
Kim

My wife dives a Zena and absolutely loves it. My step son a Scout, my other son a Stiletto and my daughter a Zena. All have tried others and really like the Zeagle line. I have had mine over 10 years with zero problems and it still looks new. I take very good care of it though. We all have the Zeagle Octo Z as well.

KDL -- since no one has responded to the Back Plate question -- here goes:

I started this diving career with a Balance -- standard back inflate BC and I still use it in the pool when I teach. BUT, I switched to a BP/W setup some years ago. I urge my students to consider a BP/W whenever they decide to buy gear -- here's why:

a. Modular -- because it is modular, Back plate is one piece, wing is one piece, cam bands are 2 pieces, harness is one piece -- all can be easily replaced or modified without issue. Also, it becomes trivial to pack because you can separate the wing from the plate making both very easy to put into your suitcase (or hell, just wear it as a back pack as a carry on). I always remove the cambands, takes a minute, which also reduces the perceived volume.

b. Weight -- with a plastic (Kydex) or aluminum plate and say a 25 pound wing, you are looking at a very light, couple of pounds, package. It is also the most streamlined BC out there (IMHO!).

c. Pockets -- you CAN put pockets on a BP/W (several companies make them) but I'd suggest another alternative -- pockets on your wet suit OR shorts with pockets that go over your wet suit OR can be worn without. Here's one example -- XS Scuba Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

d. Cost -- often one of the cheapest alternatives particularly if you buy an aluminum plate.

Kim -- I hope that answers your questions.

I love my Zeagles! I use a Scout for warm water and/or single tank diving, a Teckpack ( not made anymore) for cold water or doubles. A few years ago, a friend tried my Tech and liked it enough he worked out deal with my wife for it. His buying it was the only problem/issue I ever have had with a Zeagle. Our girls also use them, Scouts and a Ranger. Big thing about them is you need to decide what you want it to do and get the model or models that work for that type of diving. They aren't flashy but I like function over flashy and couldn't be happier with my choices.

Another vote for Zeagle Express Tech I consider it a crossover if not a true BP/W. The basic model is very light for travel and easy to change the wings as needed. Intergrated weights are also easy to add if that is your preference.

Mine is slightly modified with SS D-rings, waist buckle, 35# wing and cam trim pocket (again my preferences).

You ask how I like my Zeagle? I don't! When I first purchased my Brigade I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I started into tech diving and needed a rig to dive doubles. I purchased a BPW and after the first dive thought why did I even like my Brigade? I did a dive in my Brigade last year and could not believe how cluttered the harness felt, there was stuff everywhere. Then you have there useless pockets. The pockets open in an arc from the bottom front to the top back of the pocket. What happens is if you are diving in horizontal trim "which is how everyone should be diving" the pocket actually opens from the bottom. Now open the bottom of a pocket and what happens? All the contents fall out, yes you can attach the contents to a bungee tied into the pocket but they will still hang there and be a pain in the butt to put back. I have been told by many people that this pocket issue is not a problem but I can guarantee those people are not diving horizontal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom