Do you own one of those pricey, fancy HID-light systems?

Do you own/ dive with a HID light system?

• You bet I do! And I'll even blast you in the face to prove it!

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Bah....who needs one?!? I've got me trusty D-celled torch!

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, they can be blinding. About a year ago I heard that the European community were considering outlawing the Halogen lights on vehicles due to the blinding effect it can have on oncoming traffic. I don't know what the outcome of that was if any.
I spoke with a DM about people shinning their lights in your face....they had a great come back IMHO. Just raise your hand in a stop signal and turn your head away from the diver "until they get it".
There is no need to shine your light at a diver regardless of what type it is. HID I must admit are the worst when you get blinded by them underwater, although I can see the benefits of having one especially in photography. I have been satisifed with my C4 and a backup though and have not found a need to replace either one as of yet.
If prices fall and I need a new light, I'd consider buying one.

Just my .02

Custer once bubbled...

You mean the Jedi Light Cannon?

I rib my buddies about that all the time.

I tell them I want to observe undersea life not cook it.

I make cracks about the humming noise, and changing the dylithium crystals.

I think that those things are grossly inconsiderate to undersea species whos eyes certainly can't handle that light, and to fellow divers, who don't want to.

DIR is a minimalist philosophy, leave that hunk of junk in on the boat unless you have a specific need for it.

Could you explain to me how i can cook marine life in 50 or so degree water :confused:

they are great to see and a great communication tool, any light is a pest if you shine it in your buddy's face.

are just jealous or are you just clueless :confused:

I own one, But I only use it attached to my Digital Camera to provide White Light, It seems to work not as well as a strobe. Dont use it on night dives because I dont like watching the reef residents trying to escape the boiling water!

I've got a Eight D Cell lamp I bought for my Bonaire trip last year. I looked at the HID lights and was concerned about the cost and fragility of the bulbs. I read quite a few threads about blowing bulbs and didn't want to be on the island with no light. I was also in a hurry and like to do a fair amount of research before purchasing anything as expensive as a HID.

Now I've seen the lights in action in low vis and they are super at passive communication. I used my D8 for the same reason this Wednesday and it worked but wasn't as convienent as the HID's with the seperate light heads. I might just end up with one before too long.

Is there a non biased Consumer's Report style HID light review/comparison anywhere?

David

are intolerant of physical abuse. For that matter, so are regular halogen bulbs, but the difference there is that if you break one its only $10 or so .vs. $80-100!

I have about 50 dives on my light cannon now, and haven't had trouble with it. Long before it dies it gives you fair warning in that it gets odd in striking behavior - you might have to click the switch on a couple of times before it lights up. You need to pay attention to that when it happens, because its the only warning you get of a low battery condition! In contrast, Halogens get noticably dimmer before they go out. (This is with dry cells - with rechargable or L/A batteries the "knee" is entirely different and the lamps will go out with little warning irrespective of the actual lamp type!)

Just don't drop the light on a boat deck :)

sheck33 once bubbled...
Could you explain to me how i can cook marine life in 50 or so degree water :confused:

What's amazing is that you feel than needs to be explained.

sheck33 once bubbled...
they are great to see and a great communication tool, any light is a pest if you shine it in your buddy's face.

Strange, as usual, that the vast majority of divers can utilize a much smaller light for the same purpose.

And you still don't need to abuse the sea life.

sheck33 once bubbled...
are just jealous or are you just clueless :confused:

Neither. I've been diving with people like you before.

DSJ once bubbled... Is there a non biased Consumer's Report style HID light review/comparison anywhere?

David [/B]

Actually, I don't know of any reviews of these lights in print or on the net. Perhaps some of our other readers can comment?

Looking at Google for a search on "underwater HID lights" should bring up Sartek, DiveRite, Greeforce, UK, and others so that you may compare features!:wink:

mars2u once bubbled...
I spoke with a DM about people shinning their lights in your face....they had a great come back IMHO. Just raise your hand in a stop signal and turn your head away from the diver "until they get it".............Just my .02

I've got a much better method!

I dove with a DM that had one of those headlamps on. He blinded my every time he looked at me. So I just took my 10W HID and shined it in his eyes every time he did it to me.

He stopped doing that very quickly!

detroit diver once bubbled...

I've got a much better method!

I dove with a DM that had one of those headlamps on. He blinded my every time he looked at me. So I just took my 10W HID and shined it in his eyes every time he did it to me.

He stopped doing that very quickly!

Here's a better one. Signal him that you want to look at his light. When he gives it to you...Open it up, act like you're checking the inside, close it back up and hand it to him.

When you surface...blame Tourettes syndrom on him when other divers ask why he's cursing. Explain that you were trying to drain out the light "at depth" because you thought he was having problems with it by shinning it in your face and getting your attention and was just trying to help out.:D :wink:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sheck33 once bubbled...
Could you explain to me how i can cook marine life in 50 or so degree water
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's amazing is that you feel than needs to be explained.

it amazes me that you imply that i could heat up the huge body of water i am diving in from 50 F to 200+ F with a mere 10 W HID bulb in a matter of minutes in order to 'cook' marine life. Even with a 200W halogen light, that convert more battery energy into heat than HID's do, that would be utterly impossible.

quote:
sheck33 once bubbled...

Strange, as usual, that the vast majority of divers can utilize a much smaller light for the same purpose.

nobody said you cant use smaller lights for communication, but HID's are far more efficient and far better to see than anything else.

And you still don't need to abuse the sea life.

the marine life i have encountered so far didnt seem to be bothered by it, and seals love it.

quote:
sheck33 once bubbled...
are just jealous or are you just clueless

Neither. I've been diving with people like you before.

well then, maybe we should go for a dive sometime :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom