Do you think this is a qualified CESA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LEO1982

Registered
Reaction score
The other party sent a network confirmation video. In order to prevent the other party from cheating, we asked the other party to remove the REG second stages in the mouth (to avoid secretly inhaling on the way) and unplug the BCD LP hose (to avoid secretly inflating on the way), so please ignore the video The second stages in the mouth are not in the mouth and the LP hose is not connected to the BCD

welcome to leave your comment

Yup, exhaling is the key. So not, not a CESA.

And its your cesa, you can keep the reg in and bcd connected. I spit out my reg, but I dump the wing all the way up, so a connected wing really isnt cheating.

No need to remove reg. As along ad you can see exhalation bubbles the whole way you'll know there aren't any breaths being taken.

I'd say this is not only a fail, but downright dangerous for this diver to repeat at depth.

Anything done in a pool qualifies as nothing other than something done in a pool

And that abhorrence in the video has no practical application out of the pool or in

No, and the instructor who did not stop the exercise in the first 10 seconds and correct the student should be made to carry bricks uphill for a day or two.
I know that horizontal CESA is done in order to prevent the student doing exactly what this one is doing in a more dangerous environment but there is 0 point or real world applications to doing it this way.

Depending upon your agency, it is a standards violation to remove the regulator from the mouth. This is pretty much true everywhere in the world. A thread a few years ago indicated that Belgium was the only place that still allowed CESAs with the regulator out. This practice followed a UHMS study that found that CESA was by far the number one exercise associated with student fatalities, and the diver inhaling water and drowning during the ascent was the primary reason.

A primary rule of performance instruction is to make the practice as much like the real life as possible. In real life, you absolutely want the OOA diver to keep the regulator in the mouth for two reasons.
  1. It will prevent the diver from inhaling water and drowning
  2. During the ascent, as ambient pressure decreases, the diver will be able to inhale air from the tank. That is only true if the regulator is in the mouth.
In the real world, if the diver begins the OOA ascent while reasonably close to neutrally buoyant, then the air in the BCD will expand. In order to maintain control, the diver will need to learn to dump air during the ascent. Divers should never need to add air to the BCD to ascend, unless that have dumped too much too soon while overweighted.

The other party sent a network confirmation video.
What is a "network confirmation video"? What is its purpose?
In order to prevent the other party from cheating, we asked the other party to remove the REG second stages in the mouth (to avoid secretly inhaling on the way)
This is against PADI standards. Was this PADI?
so please ignore the video The second stages in the mouth are not in the mouth and the LP hose is not connected to the BCD
Why do you send a video and then say to ignore it?
NO. As soon as the reg was spit out, it failed. All the rest is irrelevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom