Do you think this was an "Accident?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From afar it doesn't seem obviously anything but an accident, given the context. The man's death is a heart-wrenching tragedy, and it's easy to imagine what he felt and went through. But he was seasoned and knowledgeable of both the circumstances and his limits, and while an opt-out trigger was available, he chose to push himself. For that he deserves a warrior's respect and honor. You can think or wish that someone else should have taken more responsibility for him, but I can't do that from this distance. It's tempting but unfortunate to define negligence or culpability backward from outcomes - you accept the risk when you take chances.

If it was IPE, then they'll not get any more answers that anyone else has. If you search for IPE, you'll find it in many strange circumstances, like long-distance navy swimmers, that swim on their side, and they get IPE in only the lung that is underwater.

Jax, can you link that reference?

Reactions: Jax
Jax, can you link that reference?

I believe I quoted it in DeniseGG's incident at Jackson Blue thread. You look that way and I'll run the google end! :chuckle:

Damn, I'm good! Immersion Pulmonary Edema in Special Forces Combat Swimmers

Immersion Pulmonary Edema in Special Forces Combat Swimmers
1. Richard T. Mahon, MD, 2. Stewart Kerr, MD, 3. Dennis Amundson, DO, FCCP and 4. J. Scott Parrish, MD, FCCP

Correspondence to: Richard T. Mahon, MD, C/O Clinical Investigation Department, Naval Medical Center San Diego, 34800 Bob Wilson Dr, San Diego, CA 92134; e-mail: rtmahon@nmcsd.med.navy.mil

To the Editor:

We thoroughly enjoyed the review of pulmonary edema associated with scuba diving by Slade et al, in the November issue of CHEST.1 As they mentioned, capillary stress failure appears to be central to the pathophysiology of this disorder as well as of other disorders, like high-altitude pulmonary edema. This topic is of great interest to us at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, where > 20 cases per year of pulmonary edema associated with surface swimming are evaluated. Generally, this condition occurs in special forces combat swimmers during intense training. Recently, three combat swimmers between the ages of 22 years and 28 years, without previous medical problems, simultaneously presented with unilateral radiographic findings of pulmonary edema. These patients were participating in a two-mile surface swim in 17°C ocean water. All were wearing 5-mm-thick neoprene wet suits that fit comfortably, all denied aspiration, and all complained of severe dyspnea and a nonproductive cough. Varying degrees of hypoxemia, tachypnea, and unilateral crackles (two right-sided and one left-sided) were observed. Radiographic findings included unilateral Kerley-B lines, cephalization, airspace consolidation, and normal cardiac size. Treatment consisted of supplemental oxygen and inhaled β-agonists. In each patient, hypoxemia resolved within 12 h, and results of chest radiographs normalized in 24 to 48 h. Navy combat swimmers swim primarily in a lateral decubitus position to allow constant eye contact with a partner and to maintain a low surface profile in the water. The dependent submersed lung was the radiographically affected lung in each of our three patients. We believe that increased central vascular volume associated with immersion,23 along with elevation of pulmonary vascular resistance4 and regional differences in perfusion secondary to the forces of gravity and high cardiac output,56 exposed regional capillaries to relatively high pressures. We believe that unilateral pulmonary edema, as observed in these combat swimmers, reflected global and regional pulmonary vascular changes that led to stress failure of the capillary bed.

{Please follow link for the full references. Bold emphasis is mine.}

For me, it sounds as if this man had issues with the water to start with. You'll all recall that one of the first things you need to be a scuba diver is to be comfortable in the water. And to do this kind of training, a person would have to be very comfortable in the water to start with. Add in all the stress this extensive training added (and with good reason - I do understand why the military does it) and this poor guy was just way in over his head. The military macho thing wouldn't let him give up, so he had to "save face" in front of his team.

I recall from living years ago in San Diego that Navy test pilots had to undergo a "crash in the water" test where the simulator shot them into a pool, but inside a cage. If you panicked, you only got one or two more chances to do it and if you failed, then you were out of the entire fighter pilot program. I'm wondering if this wasn't the same thing where this man had only a few chances to succeed or he was out. That plus water issues would have been a horror for him.

I'm so sorry for him - and for his family.

Trish

This school is the hardest school in the Army, most likely one of the hardest military schools. I had one SF PA who made it through. He was a big guy, lifted weights, incredibly fit and an advanced diver. He lost about 50 lbs in 6 weeks from his very fit, low body fat 220 lb body. He was an older PA, probably late 30's and I was very proud that he made it.
I've sent several young medics who could run 12 mile road marches with 60lb packs in record times fail to make through SF Medic training so to make it all the way to the Scuba school is a really big deal. He couldn't have had too much of a cardiovascular or pulmonary weakness to do that.
I'm also not seeing much of a fear of water. Maybe the typical Captain's fear of failure, that all type A young leaders go through at some point in their lives.
I have no doubt that this will change the Army Scuba School policies. I've worked on quite a few Army death boards and policies are always reviewed and changed because of incidents such as these. I hope that nobody ends up being made an example when they don't deserve it, that would be tragic.

Nice pull!

Thanks! I was ecstatic because I found it so quick! :D It creeps me out, a little -- when our finest, in best physical shape, developes IPE . . . :shocked2:

It would appear that IPE may not be related to physical conditioning. Anyone know the details there?

I don't, but when DeniseGG was hurt, I read everything I could find on it. It's scary that it seems to be unrelated to anything one could put their finger on. And, since the symptoms mirror AGE, how could people know? How would doctors be able to tell the difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom