Do you "wet" your tank band?

Do you "wet" your BCD tank strap?

• Yes

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 71 51.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wet by band down, and carry a jug of water in my truck so I can do it when I'm away from water while setting my gear up. Personally, i've never had slippage problems, but I have seen people that secure their tank, check it, and then when they hit the water, it gets loose. While diving off a boat in tropical waters, my buddy's tank started to slide, and ended up taking her rig off 80 feet down on a beautiful reef, crushing coral left and right as she tried to resecure it. Since then, I've taken a preventative stance on it. And as with much in diving, yeah, I take precautions to make sure that my tank strapped down tight, and wont slip, but if there is anything I can do to make it safer, I'll do it, because I'd rather regret losing 3 second to wet a band than regret not having a tight hold on my tank

Never had a problem with a dry tank band, but I always cinch the strap very tight. Last season I switch to a Zeagle Ranger with dual tank bands. I think this affords a larger measure of security, but as always I haven't had any slipage. Where I witness slipage was on other divers with a single strap, and those who use a poly-mesh around their tank (to keep it beautiful). The tank just slips out of the mesh wet or dry. Wetting the band is not needed if you cinch it tightly IMO.

Double bands do not have an issue. When I had a single strap I could never get it tight enough to hold.

Back
Top Bottom