Does a Venture Wing need a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
I also tie-wrapped a piece of old wetsuit over the plate, since I dive with a 2mm shorty sometimes.
This is exactly what I was thinking. When I see people selling $40+ pads for a backplate to make it more comfortable, I keep on wondering why should it cost that much and I thought of using parts of the neoprene from a wet suit. I just posted a thread in the BC forum asking about this.

dumpsterDiver:
I made an STA out of a piece of 8" diameter pvc pipe. I cut the pipe with a jig saw and made it a little shorter than the plate and it the circular sides extend only about and inch or two on each side. It adds a little weight to the rig and I think it could have been made smaller and only be about 50% as long as the plate. The pipe was scrap and the 2 nut/bolts cost almost nothing

I bolted the pvc to the plate trapping the wing in the desired location. I haven't taken it apart in 8 months. I also put a little silicone caulk on the tank-side of the PVC to grip it better.
Great idea. I also wondered why a STA costs so much. This is a much cheaper alternative. Maybe you should go into business selling PVC STAs.

Torontonian:
dumpsterDiver:
I also tie-wrapped a piece of old wetsuit over the plate, since I dive with a 2mm shorty sometimes.
This is exactly what I was thinking. When I see people selling $40+ pads for a backplate to make it more comfortable, I keep on wondering why should it cost that much and I thought of using parts of the neoprene from a wet suit. I just posted a thread in the BC forum asking about this.

Great idea. I also wondered why a STA costs so much. This is a much cheaper alternative. Maybe you should go into business selling PVC STAs.
Personally I dont like duct tape holding my gear together. Dive Rite makes professional looking products, that have been designed and tested by divers, and are supported by a professional company. People are willing to pay for that quality.

jviehe:
Personally I dont like duct tape holding my gear together. Dive Rite makes professional looking products, that have been designed and tested by divers, and are supported by a professional company. People are willing to pay for that quality.

What kind of diver would be willing to say that duct tape will not improve any set of dive gear? Adding duct tape to ones rig is one of the best methods to gain acceptance with a group of experienced divers. I'm real skeptical of a guy who shows up with ALL new gear; now if he is showing a little duct tape here and there..well we all feel better about him.

Many years ago as a divemaster, when people inquired about by BC and wetsuit "modifications" I used to tell people that I was a "test-diver for aquaseal". I really think some of them believed me.

dumpsterDiver:
What kind of diver would be willing to say that duct tape will not improve any set of dive gear? Adding duct tape to ones rig is one of the best methods to gain acceptance with a group of experienced divers. I'm real skeptical of a guy who shows up with ALL new gear; now if he is showing a little duct tape here and there..well we all feel better about him.

Many years ago as a divemaster, when people inquired about by BC and wetsuit "modifications" I used to tell people that I was a "test-diver for aquaseal". I really think some of them believed me.
Scratches are one thing. I guess i just my stuff to look nice in addition to being functional. Whenever I have a DM lead my group who has home made stuff or really old or beat up, I wonder about its function. In one case, I had to give one such person my spare reg. That isnt to say DIY stuff dosent work just fine. Im just trying to explain why some of us prefer to buy branded stuff made by pros.

You're a PADI instructor aren't you?

ams511:
You could make a canister light out of an old thermos and a maglite. lol Thanks for the info.

DumpsterDiver, would you make me one? And how much would it cost? :D

No.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom